• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alpaca linings

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, anybody really know about alpaca linings? alpaca is really warm, doesn't it make the suit really hot? can you put alpaca on a 11 oz and get the warmth of a much heavier fabric? what is the idea? anybody really have one of these?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Seen this in overcoats and trench coats and such but never in suits that I can recall. Sounds daft.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Alpaca was once used in coat linings. It was not the same type of alpaca pile or fleece that is used for winter coats.

Richard Anderson in his book mentions that alpaca was used for the coat's lining. Striped silk lining was used in the sleeves to ease slipping on and off. Also, silk (and later Bemberg, rayon, etc.) was less bulky than alpaca.

This dates back to pre-centrallly heated England when a heavy suit was prized. It is likely that the other components (canvas, horsehair, etc.) were heavier than those used now.

I know of no one who works with alpaca linings, and I do not know if they are even available. I would think that it would make the coat warmer but also bulkier.

Perhaps a call to Richard Anderson or another tailor on Savile Row?

Good luck.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
ok, anybody really know about alpaca linings? alpaca is really warm, doesn't it make the suit really hot? can you put alpaca on a 11 oz and get the warmth of a much heavier fabric? what is the idea? anybody really have one of these?

Are Chicago winters that bad?
wow.gif

Icarus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman

I know of no one who works with alpaca linings, and I do not know if they are even available. I would think that it would make the coat warmer but also bulkier.

Good luck.

The only companies working with it are all based in Spain. Maybe there's a local market for them in cities close to the Andes, but all the fashion companies source theirs from Spain.

Petrus1

Reaction score
Globe- alpaca like wool can be made in all different weights. Just as there are tropical weight wools there are tropical weight alpaca suits.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman
Alpaca was once used in coat linings. It was not the same type of alpaca pile or fleece that is used for winter coats. Richard Anderson in his book mentions that alpaca was used for the coat's lining. Striped silk lining was used in the sleeves to ease slipping on and off. Also, silk (and later Bemberg, rayon, etc.) was less bulky than alpaca. This dates back to pre-centrallly heated England when a heavy suit was prized. It is likely that the other components (canvas, horsehair, etc.) were heavier than those used now. I know of no one who works with alpaca linings, and I do not know if they are even available. I would think that it would make the coat warmer but also bulkier. Perhaps a call to Richard Anderson or another tailor on Savile Row? Good luck.
I had Will Field alter an old hand-me-down Davies suit to fit and he commented on the Alpaca lining and how it was once standard but no longer used due to cost. As I understand it, it's not actually alpaca wool in my thirty-year-old example, but rather a coarsely woven open-weave rayon. Perhaps it was alpaca at one time. In my example it is used only in the body while the sleeves have a conventional lining, as Mark notes was the norm. Though the suit is an old English flannel of at least 12 oz, I find it comfortable to wear indoors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads