• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

alpaca linings

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,607
Reaction score
400
ok, anybody really know about alpaca linings? alpaca is really warm, doesn't it make the suit really hot? can you put alpaca on a 11 oz and get the warmth of a much heavier fabric? what is the idea? anybody really have one of these?
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,854
Seen this in overcoats and trench coats and such but never in suits that I can recall. Sounds daft.
 

Mark Seitelman

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2004
Messages
829
Reaction score
34
Alpaca was once used in coat linings. It was not the same type of alpaca pile or fleece that is used for winter coats.

Richard Anderson in his book mentions that alpaca was used for the coat's lining. Striped silk lining was used in the sleeves to ease slipping on and off. Also, silk (and later Bemberg, rayon, etc.) was less bulky than alpaca.

This dates back to pre-centrallly heated England when a heavy suit was prized. It is likely that the other components (canvas, horsehair, etc.) were heavier than those used now.

I know of no one who works with alpaca linings, and I do not know if they are even available. I would think that it would make the coat warmer but also bulkier.

Perhaps a call to Richard Anderson or another tailor on Savile Row?

Good luck.
 

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2002
Messages
7,073
Reaction score
1,169
Originally Posted by globetrotter
ok, anybody really know about alpaca linings? alpaca is really warm, doesn't it make the suit really hot? can you put alpaca on a 11 oz and get the warmth of a much heavier fabric? what is the idea? anybody really have one of these?

Are Chicago winters that bad?
 

Icarus

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2010
Messages
234
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman

I know of no one who works with alpaca linings, and I do not know if they are even available. I would think that it would make the coat warmer but also bulkier.

Good luck.


The only companies working with it are all based in Spain. Maybe there's a local market for them in cities close to the Andes, but all the fashion companies source theirs from Spain.
 

Petrus1

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
152
Reaction score
0
Globe- alpaca like wool can be made in all different weights. Just as there are tropical weight wools there are tropical weight alpaca suits.
 

summej2

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2006
Messages
589
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman
Alpaca was once used in coat linings. It was not the same type of alpaca pile or fleece that is used for winter coats. Richard Anderson in his book mentions that alpaca was used for the coat's lining. Striped silk lining was used in the sleeves to ease slipping on and off. Also, silk (and later Bemberg, rayon, etc.) was less bulky than alpaca. This dates back to pre-centrallly heated England when a heavy suit was prized. It is likely that the other components (canvas, horsehair, etc.) were heavier than those used now. I know of no one who works with alpaca linings, and I do not know if they are even available. I would think that it would make the coat warmer but also bulkier. Perhaps a call to Richard Anderson or another tailor on Savile Row? Good luck.
I had Will Field alter an old hand-me-down Davies suit to fit and he commented on the Alpaca lining and how it was once standard but no longer used due to cost. As I understand it, it's not actually alpaca wool in my thirty-year-old example, but rather a coarsely woven open-weave rayon. Perhaps it was alpaca at one time. In my example it is used only in the body while the sleeves have a conventional lining, as Mark notes was the norm. Though the suit is an old English flannel of at least 12 oz, I find it comfortable to wear indoors.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 14 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 63 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 121 33.0%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 64 17.4%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 26 7.1%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 21 5.7%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 13 3.5%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 6 1.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 12 3.3%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 3 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 22 6.0%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,406
Messages
9,198,467
Members
193,186
Latest member
koches

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top