• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Alone in the Wilderness" , Workwear in use!

Klemins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone who hasn't seen it, "Alone in the Wilderness" is on WHYY now, around 6 EST. It's from the 60's I think, of a man who goes into a remote Alaskan area and builds his a cabin and lives completely off of the land (and films himself). His clothes are very cool too. Check it out if you haven't

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Klemins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually never saw Into the Wild, but i guess it's a similar concept. The work this guy did was incredible, built and grew nearly everything he used.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now whenever someone needs to describe how costumey workwear is for 99% of people I can link directly to this thread.

Perfect.

Klemins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how was that make it costumey? If anything, it shows practicality...

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Yes in New York City there are tons of rippling brooks to cross in waders, and lots of... pidgeon hunting?

workwear/outdoors wear is pretty costumey for 99% of people.

robbie

Klemins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you can say if it is tough/quality enough to survive extreme conditions, then it must be pretty warm/quality and can last..

Curious_George

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Now whenever someone needs to describe how costumey workwear is for 99% of people I can link directly to this thread. Perfect.
I suppose if you come from NYC workwear looks really costumey but coming from the upper midwest myself I still see a lot of it in use and being worn today. Not so much the kind of idealized vintage look you see from brands like EG but to a degree some of the classic influences are still around in modern workwear brands. I've seen Woolrich, Red Wing, Carhartt, etc. around long before this trend and never thought of them as part of some sort of workwear costume.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klemins
Or you can say if it is tough/quality enough to survive extreme conditions, then it must be pretty warm/quality and can last..
PREPARE YOURSELF
day%2Bafter%2Btomorrow.jpg

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Curious_George
I suppose if you come from NYC workwear looks really costumey but coming from the upper midwest myself I still see a lot of it in use and being worn today. Not so much the kind of idealized vintage look you see from brands like EG but to a degree some of the classic influences are is still around in modern workwear brands. I've seen Woolrich, Red Wing, Carhartt, etc. around long before this trend and never thought of them as part of some sort of workwear costume.

Exactly.

Context (or location) says a lot about a certain aesthetic. The opposite to the NYC workwear example is the very trendy "cutting edge"/runway look. That look is much better in NYC/LA than elsewhere. The locations where workwear looks "costumey" are probably the same places where the trendiest urban styles don't look out of place.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
'Workwear' was practical 50 years ago. Modern inventions like Gore Tex make it pretty worthless.

There's a reason this dude was wearing this stuff in the 60s

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
WEOOOOOW thanks whodini for that video, amazing work
smile.gif

not only was his work wear great, i fell in love with the story and wonder how he felt all those years in isolation... good stuff!

JO3B

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
'Workwear' was practical 50 years ago. Modern inventions like Gore Tex make it pretty worthless.

There's a reason this dude was wearing this stuff in the 60s

isn't it just possible that clothing can be impractical?

aesthetics come to mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads