• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Almost Famous

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caught this the other night and loved it. I can see why it was nominated for a few Oscars. If you grew up in the '70s you should definitely see it. It's a terrific look at '70s Rock n Roll. Dakota Rube, I think you for one would enjoy it. Brought back a lot of nostalgic memories for me of that scene.

Highly recommended.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're right about the generational appeal. My mom loves the film, but I just found it so-so.

Hanseat

Reaction score
I didn't grow up during the 70's but distinctly remember walking out the cinema (big picture + good and loud sound) and regretting that I did not. Seemed like an interesting time- then again I'd hate to fight all the battles my parent generation fought for us.

My generation lives in such an easy time...

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Loved that movie + Kate Hudson was really cute in it!

Any movie that can make you walk out singing "Tiny Dancer" must be doing something right.

Then again - it is a Cameron Crowe film and much of his work are among my favorites - Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Say Anything, Singles, heck, even Jerry Maguire.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Yeah, great movie, especially for those of us with that frame of reference.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey Stu...yeah, I've seen that film a couple of times. Every time I see it I am transported back across the years...I even had a girlfriend back then who looked an awful lot like Kate Hudson (who, btw, is "back on the market"; think I should PM her?).

What amazed me about the flick is that it is semi-autobiographic; apparently Crowe's mother did let him go on the road...I can't imagine my mother allowing that.
angry.gif

One historical sidenote: I saw a whole lot more dope smoking back then than the film portrays.

Spoony

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Any movie that can make you walk out singing "Tiny Dancer" must be doing something right.

As I was flipping through channels, I stopped on this movie for a second at the part where they sing that in the bus. After the song I changed it because I really wanted to see it from the begining. That's still the only part of the movie I've seen. I did however download that song as soon as I got to my computer.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
One historical sidenote: I saw a whole lot more dope smoking back then than the film portrays.
Yeah, me too. And hash oil, etc. But the acid trip was pretty realistic. I never saw anyone get on a roof, but the bizarro banter was very much in vein with what I saw, and -- ahem -- did at countless parties. One of my favorite scenes was with all the groupies and band members and roadies in the hotel singing "Something in the Air" by Thunderclap Newman

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads