1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Almost Famous

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Stu, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

Caught this the other night and loved it. I can see why it was nominated for a few Oscars. If you grew up in the '70s you should definitely see it. It's a terrific look at '70s Rock n Roll. Dakota Rube, I think you for one would enjoy it. Brought back a lot of nostalgic memories for me of that scene.

Highly recommended.

2. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Distinguished Member

I think you're right about the generational appeal. My mom loves the film, but I just found it so-so.

3. Hanseat

Hanseat Senior Member

I didn't grow up during the 70's but distinctly remember walking out the cinema (big picture + good and loud sound) and regretting that I did not. Seemed like an interesting time- then again I'd hate to fight all the battles my parent generation fought for us.

My generation lives in such an easy time...

4. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Loved that movie + Kate Hudson was really cute in it!

Any movie that can make you walk out singing "Tiny Dancer" must be doing something right.

Then again - it is a Cameron Crowe film and much of his work are among my favorites - Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Say Anything, Singles, heck, even Jerry Maguire.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

Yeah, great movie, especially for those of us with that frame of reference.

6. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Stylish Dinosaur

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Hey Stu...yeah, I've seen that film a couple of times. Every time I see it I am transported back across the years...I even had a girlfriend back then who looked an awful lot like Kate Hudson (who, btw, is "back on the market"; think I should PM her?).

What amazed me about the flick is that it is semi-autobiographic; apparently Crowe's mother did let him go on the road...I can't imagine my mother allowing that. [​IMG]

One historical sidenote: I saw a whole lot more dope smoking back then than the film portrays.

7. Spoony

Spoony Active Member

Any movie that can make you walk out singing "Tiny Dancer" must be doing something right.

As I was flipping through channels, I stopped on this movie for a second at the part where they sing that in the bus. After the song I changed it because I really wanted to see it from the begining. That's still the only part of the movie I've seen. I did however download that song as soon as I got to my computer.

8. otterhound

otterhound Senior Member

Terrific movie for those, like me, in their late 40's. But I love Cameron Crowe movies. I even loved Elizabethtown.

In the same vein, I recommend Dazed and Confused.

9. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

One historical sidenote: I saw a whole lot more dope smoking back then than the film portrays.
    Yeah, me too. And hash oil, etc. But the acid trip was pretty realistic. I never saw anyone get on a roof, but the bizarro banter was very much in vein with what I saw, and -- ahem -- did at countless parties. One of my favorite scenes was with all the groupies and band members and roadies in the hotel singing "Something in the Air" by Thunderclap Newman