• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Almost all light beers taste the same

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light beers are useless. It's quantity over quantity because people are addicted to consuming garbage.

I bet you could run a "distinguish the beer" competition with some good beers, and do it by smell and have a better chance than the taste of light beers.

There are plenty of "light" bodied and light alcohol beers that are refreshing and taste great. I'm partial to Stone Levitation, it's only 4.something% alcohol and full of grassy hop flavour.

ScottMan

Reaction score
Here in Athens (and I suspect many other hard-drinking college towns) a few of the more popular bars will switch out the kegs of Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Light for their respective cheaper versions like Natty, Beast, etc. Noone ever suspects a thing.

I have a few ideas in my head of cheap beers I could tell a difference in, but in practice I'd probably fail miserably. The exception might be PBR which I feel is the most distinguishable of the crap beers.

Roygbivuxg

Reaction score
lite beers exists for the sustainability of drinking games on college campuses

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't all taste the same, but they do all taste terrible. A lot of them taste just as different from others as many other kinds of food and drinks.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how they taste "terrible" when there isn't much flavor to begin with. Lacking in any discernible flavor is a more apt description of light beers. I've had many "manly full bodied" beers that honestly did not taste good at all. Light beer has it's place in the alcoholic beverage world, though that may not be in most of your refrigerators.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racing Green
I don't understand the appeal of light beers, but then again I'm Irish.

poor college kids

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They all taste very similar because there's literally not very much IN the beer. Light beer is made to have the highest alcohol % for the fewest calories. Alcohol has a certain number of calories per weight, there's just not much margin left over for things (other than alcohol) to create flavor.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
They don't all taste the same, but they do all taste terrible. A lot of them taste just as different from others as many other kinds of food and drinks.

Do the taste test and you'll be surprised. And the whole reason I came up with the game is that I read a scientific study that said they all taste the same and disagreed with it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Do the taste test and you'll be surprised. And the whole reason I came up with the game is that I read a scientific study that said they all taste the same and disagreed with it.

I think I read that same study and really had to think about it. Then I had a beer and forgot all about it.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cheap lite beers are fine for hot game days, hot wings, garlic fries, etc. Sure I would rather have a Sierra Nevada or a Pliny but I won't turn down cheap crap lagers.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually reach for Brooklyn if I'm eating greasy **** like nachos or wings or something. Solid beer, enough taste to be real, not too much taste to clash with what you're eating, and cheap enough not to worry about washing down hot sauced drenched grub with it. I can't even imagine the terror that drinking a doppelbock with wings would be.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Was it a light or "real manly chock full of hops" beer?

I think, to avoid any sort of Hamlet-esque hand-wringing over what kind of beer I should have, I went with a light beer. They all taste the same anyway, right?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing worse than the beer snobs at college parties. Homie, we don't give a **** that it's macrobrewed garbage or that you prefer Sanderson's or Schneider Weiss or whatever the ******* is you drink, take a natty and shut the **** up.

You aren't cultured, you aren't highbrow, you aren't holier than anyone, you also probably aren't getting laid.

/end rant.
ffffuuuu.gif

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
There's nothing worse than the beer snobs at college parties. Homie, we don't give a **** that it's macrobrewed garbage or that you prefer Sanderson's or Schneider Weiss or whatever the ******* is you drink, take a natty and shut the **** up.

You aren't cultured, you aren't highbrow, you aren't holier than anyone, you also probably aren't getting laid.

/end rant.
ffffuuuu.gif

That's how I feel about most college and slightly post college parties. If there's a ****-ton of people and I'm supplying the booze, you're all getting a keg or two of Keystone Light and maybe some punch (college) or sangria (post) for the girls. If you are too cool for my beer feel free to drink your own somewhere else.

That said, I'll enjoy hitting up a micro and trying out their beers or checking out the interesting stuff they have at the bev mart or Whole Foods; gotta be careful, some of this stuff sits around for a while...

If I bring a 6 pack to a buddy's place to watch the game, it will usually be something most of my friends enjoy like Amstel Light or Red Stripe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads