• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

haloitsme

Reaction score
Not mine but very cool one :)

Attachments

• 77E3E61A-3C0C-4851-8A7E-FAB2BB18FA41.jpeg
    77E3E61A-3C0C-4851-8A7E-FAB2BB18FA41.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 197
  • A649389E-5079-4F5A-9520-4E5606612938.jpeg
    A649389E-5079-4F5A-9520-4E5606612938.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 965

janimal06

Reaction score
Please forgive the question, I’ve searched for the answer and can’t find it: is it a problem to travel internationally with reptile shoes? Is it necessary to travel with some kind of paperwork showing the provenance of the leather? I travel extensively for work, and would hate to run afoul of customs.

papa kot

Reaction score
Please forgive the question, I’ve searched for the answer and can’t find it: is it a problem to travel internationally with reptile shoes? Is it necessary to travel with some kind of paperwork showing the provenance of the leather? I travel extensively for work, and would hate to run afoul of customs.

When you land in Tokyo, you'll see many confiscated goods on display. Snake shoes and exotic animals, products dominate the display. When I go there, I always avoid wearing anything that can raise suspicion.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you land in Tokyo, you'll see many confiscated goods on display. Snake shoes and exotic animals, products dominate the display. When I go there, I always avoid wearing anything that can raise suspicion.

Really? Honest question: Where is that display? I'm curious to check it.

I travel in and out of Tokyo all the time (based here) but never noticed that.

janimal06

Reaction score
Yes, we have one here in Hong Kong as well. But living in a city where all your travel is international makes it a challenge / worry to invest in reptile shoes without understanding the formalities.
My understanding is that a CITES certificate is sent with the original shipment to you, but that it’s kept by customs at the port of arrival, so you never receive it. So do you need to request a duplicate certificate from the manufacturer to travel with them?

papa kot

Reaction score
Really? Honest question: Where is that display? I'm curious to check it.

I travel in and out of Tokyo all the time (based here) but never noticed that.

Narita or Haneda? When you're going through the departure gates at Narita, there will be a display with all sorts of things. Fake LV bags, snakes, various lizards, some furs and so on. It is quite entertaining actually. Last time I was starring at it, there was a pair of cowboy boots with snake skin. I have no idea how customs determine whether this is your personal good that you're traveling with or if it is something you are bringing for sale, but I don't want to find out.

papa kot

Reaction score
Speaking of croc shoes, I am thinking of the boots by Carmina in brown. How do you match a belt to those? Or should I just got sans belt with braces or a nico-style waist on the trousers?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of croc shoes, I am thinking of the boots by Carmina in brown. How do you match a belt to those? Or should I just got sans belt with braces or a nico-style waist on the trousers?
Just wear a brown belt. I always suggest matching the welt for hard to match uppers. It's no different than wearing my brown hornback croc belt with shell or suede

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
going to list a pair of brown lizard Carmina loafers tomorrow..........BNIB, Uetam last, sz 7UK. looking for $425 shipped CONUS.

papa kot

Reaction score
Gents, how do you size your croc or gator shoes? For the love of sweet breakfast, I will not be attempting to break in another pair of expensive leathers again. My feet are on a wider side and for the best fit in Cordovan, I size up in width. What is the deal with croc?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gents, how do you size your croc or gator shoes? For the love of sweet breakfast, I will not be attempting to break in another pair of expensive leathers again. My feet are on a wider side and for the best fit in Cordovan, I size up in width. What is the deal with croc?
You size up for shell?

I take the same size in all leathers personally.

janimal06

Reaction score
Narita or Haneda? When you're going through the departure gates at Narita, there will be a display with all sorts of things. Fake LV bags, snakes, various lizards, some furs and so on. It is quite entertaining actually. Last time I was starring at it, there was a pair of cowboy boots with snake skin. I have no idea how customs determine whether this is your personal good that you're traveling with or if it is something you are bringing for sale, but I don't want to find out.

BTW, for the sake of closure, I found the answer. It seems women travel with croc handbags quite a lot, and have shared the rules on handbag forums:

1). Have a copy of the CITES certificate with you, just in case
2). Research the destination country in advance to ensure that crocodile products are legal to import / possess.
3). Always wear croc shoes or transport in your personal baggage, never put in unaccompanied baggage or ship to yourself at the new location.

hope that helps!

papa kot

Reaction score
You size up for shell?

I take the same size in all leathers personally.

In width, yes. I got flat wide feet with high instep. Breaking in Corvodan shoes cost me a lot. Sizing up with a thicker sock works really well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads