• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sd2002

Reaction score
I was thinking something similar like this

6E470951-C24E-46A9-9CB6-97546C437882.jpeg

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember when the high end shoe makers (Edward Green, etc.) didn't use the large tiles (big block) to make footwear? Large tiles were usually used by mid range shoe makers like Mezlan and Mauri. Starting in the 80s they made large tiles very popular in the urban market. They convinced folks to think the larger tiled shoes were better and should cost more. Prior to the 80s, large tile gators were used mostly for handbags luggage. What happen? Did shoe makers find away to make big tile gator footwear comfortable to wear?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never buy large tiles. Do not like them at all. Makes any shoe and boot very ugly. The shoe above is an example, yes. Do not have experience with wear though.

sd2002

Reaction score
I would never buy large tiles. Do not like them at all. Makes any shoe and boot very ugly. The shoe above is an example, yes. Do not have experience with wear though.
Personally I have one alligator shoes from AM and I love the big tiles. As for comfort it is as comfortable as my other shoes. Perosannly i don’t find small tiles attractive at all.

A0E64F6F-0DF4-44C3-98E6-51123927456A.jpeg

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I have one alligator shoes from AM and I love the big tiles. As for comfort it is as comfortable as my other shoes. Perosannly i don’t find small tiles attractive at all.

View attachment 921617

Great size combination of the scales . Perfect selection of the hide for the cutting/pattern. I just can say congrats!!. Beautiful shoe.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I prefer big tiles too. I find it looks cleaner than a bunch of small tiles.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really nice. Perfect size scales transition. Bravo!!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads