1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alligator / Crocodile Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Oct 16, 2009.

1. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Don't fear the exotics! And keep a soft spot for sea turtle and shagreen.

Ah, the immortal pejsek. You are the thrift God. Have you ever thrifted a pair of exotics from a noted person?

I used to have lots of exotics ( not thrifted ). I still have a pair of Nettleton split toe alligators that I got as NOS. And probably another pair or two. But I hardly ever wear them.

Prior to my SF days I made a huge mistake. A friend of mine ( a whale like Larry Flynt ) was given a pair of hand made sea turtle boots made for Larry Flynt. My friend didn't care for the boots and he gave them to me. I am an 11D and the boots were an 11 1/2D ( so a wee bit too big ). I gave them back to my friend and don't know what I was thinking! Had it been during SF days, the boots could have been 12 & 1/2s and I would have kept them.

I'll take a picture of the Nettletons tomorrow. I could kick my self in the ass for not keeping the Flynt sea turtle boots.

2. meister

meister Senior member

I'll go ahead and be the lone dissenting voice. I think gators look terrible. Just tacky tacky tacky.

That's you and that's beautiful ...but you don't buy many calf shoes for USD2K plus...

I'll take a picture of the Nettletons tomorrow. I could kick my self in the ass for not keeping the Flynt sea turtle boots.

Did they come with a copy of Hustler?[​IMG]

3. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

That's you and that's beautiful ...but you don't buy many calf shoes for USD2K plus...

Did they come with a copy of Hustler?[​IMG]

No, and as I recall they were made in Mexico. I don't think many if any American bootmakers have used sea turtle for a long time.

4. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

Most of my exotics are loafers, with the exception of my Mezlan cap toe oxfords.

I find that the Moscoloni's fit me like a glove, and are an inexpensive way to get into exotics (I have 6 pair).

I am too traditional to wear an exotic skin shoe with a suit. I have however worn them with slacks and a sport coat, sans tie. And, of course, they go great with jeans or other casual clothing.

I do wear exotic skin belts with suits at times, but match the shade of the belt to the shade of the calf skin shoes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Im not saying the DG shoes are a grail shoe, but I am much more inclined to the belly skins as opposed to the smaller, round neck scales. Worst thing I ever passed up? A pair of black gloss finish wholecut alligators. A total grail shoe. It was before income was flowing at a healthy pace and I had to pass them at $500. I think about them daily. What did you guys think of the Tom Ford stuff : ? http://www.luxist.com/2009/07/16/tom...gator-luggage/

6. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

Love = two pair = vintage from Nettleton

- one croc black split toe

[​IMG]

- brown gator

[​IMG]

Oh man those captoes are killer. Please remind me they are larger than 10.5D to prevent regret.

7. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

just mehhh? Its a great centercut belly skin. Why do you think its mehhh?

Actually, the vamp is a belly cut and the eyestays and quarters are tail.

We make alot of other brands gator/croc shoes, leather goods, luggage, etc. in our factory....we have an inside joke when buyers for shops/brands/other factories detail this type of work.

Are 3 cuttings:

A = Madison Ave. cut
    B = First Ave. cut
    C = Orchard St. cut

those would be First Ave.

8. carl_paris

carl_paris Senior member

I think these are pretty spectacular:

[​IMG]
    Bespoke Corthay.

Also, as a shameless self-promotion, I have these in the B&S right now (9.5D UK):

[​IMG]

9. A.L.Z.

A.L.Z. Senior member

I have a soft spot for the exotics as well. Sea turtle is the ultimate, of course, but getting it...

Posted a few photos from yesterday: My cognac Zelli alligator loafers.

Quite comfortable, but summer loafers, really. Excuse the clown-like green socks. This was not to have been a photo-op...

Comments, criticisms, observations, insults--all gratefully welcomed!!

10. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

^Thanks for the crotch shot

This is for you Arnold
    [​IMG]

11. A.L.Z.

A.L.Z. Senior member

html doesn't work here, does it.

12. meister

meister Senior member

Oh man those captoes are killer. Please remind me they are larger than 10.5D to prevent regret.

Yes they are.

I have a soft spot for the exotics as well. Sea turtle is the ultimate, of course, but getting it..

It is interesting that mislabeled Turtle gets thru the guardposts on eBay pretty regularly.

RMWilliams does croc...in fact they did a pair for Clinton and Bush 43 on their Presidential visits in 1996 and 2003.

If you want to purchase them they are around AUD3K. Funny thing is the croc is from Argentina I am told and is caiman because the Aussie crocs are so vicious fighting each other they destroy a lot of potential hides aka SF customers[​IMG] .

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think these are pretty spectacular:

[​IMG]
    Bespoke Corthay.

Also, as a shameless self-promotion, I have these in the B&S right now (9.5D UK):

[​IMG]

The black Bespoke Corthay are the shoes I have been looking for my whole life. Are they yours and are they for sale?

Just.... incredible.

14. SpooPoker

I have a soft spot for the exotics as well. Sea turtle is the ultimate, of course, but getting it...

Posted a few photos from yesterday: My cognac Zelli alligator loafers.

Quite comfortable, but summer loafers, really. Excuse the clown-like green socks. This was not to have been a photo-op...

Comments, criticisms, observations, insults--all gratefully welcomed!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soles look brand new... 1st time wearing?

15. A.L.Z.

A.L.Z. Senior member

Soles look brand new... 1st time wearing?

3rd time wearing actually....but all 3 times, not "real", hard wear-- just car, indoors, office, etc.

16. carl_paris

carl_paris Senior member

The black Bespoke Corthay are the shoes I have been looking for my whole life. Are they yours and are they for sale?

Sadly not mine.

They were sold on ebay by stilmacher a while back.

17. SpooPoker

Damn shame. Stilmacher has amazing things, Im shocked I missed them. Do you remember the final bid?

18. epa

epa Senior member

Sadly not mine.

They were sold on ebay by stilmacher a while back.

He sold them?!?
    Why???
    (I hope it was not due to my comments in the thread where he told about when he got them... I think they look quite nice, just that they need a certain "context") (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=36959)

19. doctorj!

doctorj! Senior member

At the antique store where I have a booth, a lady had a few croc handbags. One is all brown croc...and actually has a baby croc on the top of the bag!

FREAKY!

20. epa

epa Senior member

Seriously speaking: are there any "ethical concerns" about croc/alligator stuff? My wife got a bit upset when I got myself an alligator credit card holder. Thus, is there anything "wrong" with the crocodile /alligator industry if compared to, for example, the cattle industry where calf skins comes from?

By the way, ansering the question of the thread: yes, I like the look of alligator shoes. But I agree that there is something "tacky" (or, rather, "pimpish") about them. If I get myself a pair, I will certainly not wear it to meetings with clients, unless I know them well.