• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alligator/Croc print leather vs genuine alligator/croc

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
usually based on the price tag, and the stamp on the back. if its not stamped as "genuine alligator", even if the salespeople insist it is, be skeptical. I once had a girl at a boutique selling mont blanc belts insist a belt was genuine ostrich, even though it wasn't stamped. I went home and checked on the internet, and sure enough, it was a pritn Poor quality prints are easy enough to tell apart, good quality, not so easy.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Price tag will be the easiest way to tell the difference.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We just had an example or two in this thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=61741

Other than the price tag (of course), there are a few ways, although croc-print is getting better depending on the item. Overall, though, it seems to me that often croc-embossed/print leather looks basically like calf leather that has scales, or that has been pressed. Real croc or alligator (especially higher quality stuff) has a life and character of its own that doesn't really look at all like they took calf leather and stamped it.

That's not a very good explanation, I know, but overall it really just comes down to seeing the real thing and then seeing the embossed. Generally, you'll go "Okay, I see it now." BUT, again, not all croc-embossing is created equal. As you move up the ladder, the embossing has uneven scales, deep grooves between the scales, "imperfections" in the skin, etc. A lot of designers use these, especially FerrÃ
00a9.png
and Valentino; some of their embossed items are hard to tell without the price tag... the embossed bag will be $1350 and the alligator/crocodile will add a zero to the end.

Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
and the stamp on the back. if its not stamped as "genuine alligator", even if the salespeople insist it is, be skeptical.

I don't think this matters that much. Really good quality stuff won't have a stamp any more than Hermes puts "Genuine Leather" on its wallets.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Price tag is the first tip off.

Irregularity of scales and grooves is another.

Interesting, I find that my recent alligator belt purchase from RLPL has a distinctive smell. It's a pleasant "fishy" smell.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can tell the difference by looking at it. I can't say for certain what it is I see, but I know it when I see it. I hate embossed exotic printed leather.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I can tell the difference by looking at it. I can't say for certain what it is I see, but I know it when I see it. I hate embossed exotic printed leather.

What a skill to have. Kinda like asking what is Appreciation? Can't explain it, but can tell when see it?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
What a skill to have. Kinda like asking what is Appreciation? Can't explain it, but can tell when see it?
I've admired antique and new exotics for years. I make a point of looking at them whenever I see them in shops regardless of whether it is an accessory or clothing. I own some exotic leather shoes but I don't wear them, at least not in these parts. Over time the difference in real and fake becomes easy to identify.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
http://www.alligatorleather.com/

Seems like a fairly reputable site. I'm thinking about getting a full alligator wallet and commision a belt.

The alligator card cases (gym wallets) look very nice and are fractionally cheaper than most other ones on the market.

I wonder what the quality of the leather is.

Aren't "true" alligator wallets supposed to have brass/metal corners?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
The alligator card cases (gym wallets) look very nice and are fractionally cheaper than most other ones on the market.

A very high quality one will have some sort of precious metal corner.

I also dislike embossed exotic goods--something tacky about them.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01

No, true alligator wallets use real alligators.
Then there's the quality of the gator skin itself, with the belly being most desirable.
Metal corners are finishings typical of luxury houses such as Asprey, Hermes and the like, but by themselves do not denote genuine alligator.

satorstyle

Reaction score
The easiest way to tell is the membrane in between the scales has distinctive creasing and irregularities that embossing just can't replicate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads