Alligator belts - quality, makers, construction, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Naka

Naka Senior member

I'd love to see pictures of it, very curious.

2. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I thought I liked it at first, but the more I look at it the more I think it looks weird. In the past all of the belts I have seen there have engine turned or simple silver buckles. Not sure why they felt the need to reinvent the wheel.

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Trafalgar used to be one of the better sources of classic Croc and Alligator belts and accessories. But i have no experience with them in the last 10+ years. Does anyone else?

http://www.trafalgarstore.com/category/Alligator_Belts_Crocodile_Belts_Alligator_Wallets/192

Marin Dingman always seems to deliver high quality exotic and leather belts but the style/design is very hit or miss. I believe he is a private label supplier to Paul Stuart for belts and some casual shoes.

Ralph Lauren has offered American Alligator for something like 20-25 years? I've had a few. I had a disappointing experience with a glossy black alligator belt from RL (cira 2003) that seemed to be almost paper thin once I started to wear it. I also have a peanut brittle colored alligator belt from RL that is one piece and has been wearing like iron for years and years (circa late 90's). It is only now starting to show some wear from the buckle.

6. dieworkwear

Those Flusser O-rings you posted looked fun.

7. matty long legs

Agreed. My ideal is cognac(ish) colored belt with a silver engine-turned buckle. One day...

8. GusW

Here is a video of some of his alligator and croc belts. Check out the colors and the "D" or O ring belts. In his previous shop he had orange, red, bright and navy blue, green and purple on display. I could use the green O ring croc belt for this summer. :)

[VIDEO]![/VIDEO]

9. dieworkwear

Those are really wonderful. Thank you for sharing. They're apparently $595, which is a touch more affordable than I would have expected.

10. GusW

11. dieworkwear

Have you been able to discern any tell tale signs of quality in your alligator belts? The most I've been able to gather is that if it's genuine American alligator, and made in one piece, it should be good. But I haven't been able to find much information on how to tell whether the skin itself will last a long time. I imagine there are a number of ways to finish the leather, each of which have their own advantages.

12. GusW

All alligator belts and most wallets I have seen are made with some leather for the backing and inside. My experience is that the leather often wears out first, so the fit, stitching and quality of the leather is just as important to the long life and good looks of the belt or wallet.

The one RL belt that gave me a problem, the center of one of the larger scales near the buckle seemed to blister after a year. It is the only time i have experienced that. :(

I would carefully inspect any new alligator belt I would buy now and only buy it if the surface seemed tightly bonded. It is a somewhat subjective call, but it would make me feel better anyway.

Most guys I know who have had a 'gator wallet have used it for years and years without a problem. But the inside leather finishing will often eventually fail.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This. And on an aesthetic level, I always look for symmetry in exotic skins. Its probably the hardest thing to get right.

14. matty long legs

15. superbanker36

superbanker36 Member

The best alligator belts will have no stitching. This is because they are hand scived to such a thin layer that stitching isn't necessary. The stitch on the outside is actually just covering up for the thickness of the liner and the alligator coming together. The finest belt makers will show no stitch because they don't need them.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013