• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alligator belt review

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received my new alligator belt in the mail. It is not a name-brand nor a store purchase. Rather, I ordered it online. The price was quite reasonable and I took a chance. It is made in the USA! Overall impression was FAVORABLE. I will definitely buy more in different colors to match various outfits/shoes. I have taken photos for illustration purposes.

As a comparison, I used a Polo Ralph Lauren alligator-grained calf leather belt (China made of Italian leather), and a Ralph Lauren Purple Label genuine alligator belt (Italian made of American alligator).

DSC06155.jpg

-An overview of the belt, color is dark brown, Nickle-plated solid brass buckle that's removable, in a safari (matte) finish

DSC06164.jpg

-closeup of removable buckle

DSC06158.jpg

-stamping on back, indicating size (not visible in this shot), genuine alligator, and "handcrafted in USA"

DSC06170.jpg

-closeup of the three belts. From top to bottom: faux-alligator RL belt, RLPL alligator belt with sterling buckle, and the non-branded alligator belt in question

DSC06171.jpg

-Another view of the three belts to show the scale pattern. The faux-gator has a clear repeating pattern, whereas the genuine gator belts do not. I can't really say what portion of the gator hide the RLPL belt is sourced from, but it does include an umbilical portion. The no-brand gator belt I requested a belly/flank pattern.

DSC06168.jpg

-This shot shows how the genuine gator belt was made. The actual gator hide, approximately 1mm thick, is bonded/sewn/glued to a sturdy calf back.

DSC06163.jpg

-closeup of the side finish. (Top to bottom: RLPL, no-brand gator, and faux-gator RL). The sides of the genuine gator belts are nicely finished to mask evidence of the multi-layer nature of the belt. The faux leather belt side is significantly thinner at 1mm thickness vs. 2mm for the genuine gator belts.

DSC06156.jpg

-This is a shot of my new belt showing the nicely finish on the splicing portion of the gator skin. You can just barely make out the vertical line showing where two different strips of gator hide are pieced. It's a very good pattern matching. It is very rare, if not impossible, to have a whole belt made from one single continuous piece of gator hide. The belt is usually pieced together, with the visible portion utilizing the largest continuous hide, and the less visible portions (such as close to the buckle where it would be covered) used for the actual splicing.

DSC06173.jpg

-Detailed shot of the non-buckle end of the belt. This is where the gator belt falls short. (Left to right: gator belt, RLPL, faux-gator) As you can see, the tapering is uneven comapred to the perfect finish on the Purple Label belt. Even the faux-gator belt does a better job.

DSC06176.jpg

-Another detailed shot of the stitching. RLPL at top and my new belt at bottom. The stitiching on the RLPL belt is nice and even throughout, the other belt not so much. It is overall not bad and quite even, but does perhaps explain why the RLPL retail for $985 and my new belt only $185. Incidentally, despite both being genuine alligator, notice how the grain pattern/grooves on the RLPL appears much shallower than its competitor

DSC06178.jpg

-Examination of stitching pattern on back of belt. Again the RLPL belt's attention to detail is quite obvious.

So to summarize, I'm quite happy with the belt. I can't comment on longevity as I have not worn either the RLPL or the new gator belt. I did purchase the Saphir Special Retile lotion to condition the belt.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice although I do have to say that I like the RLPL belt the most. Mostly as a function of the color. Not enough to justify the price difference though.
smile.gif
I wouldn't worry too much about the tapering at the end of the belt but that's just me. I don't get too worked up about things like that.

khaki sack

Reaction score
Nice belt. I'm looking for a similar belt made of, the skin of alligators, crocodile, or skink.

What color did you get? I would prefer something light, such as mahoghoney, chestnut, peanut, or almond.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the color of the USA-made belt, but it looks like the stitching is farther from the edges, which I don't care for. Is this the case?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaki sack
Nice belt. I'm looking for a similar belt made of, the skin of alligators, crocodile, or skink.

What color did you get? I would prefer something light, such as mahoghoney, chestnut, peanut, or almond.

I got chocalate brown in a safari/matte finish. There are mulitple colors available, including all shades of browns.

Originally Posted by Teacher
I like the color of the USA-made belt, but it looks like the stitching is farther from the edges, which I don't care for. Is this the case?

Your observation is correct. On the RLPL belt the stitchings are about 2mm max from edge. On the no-brand gator belt, they are 3mm on average from the edge.

shellphll

Reaction score
Will an alligator belt be considered an appropriate match with calf shoes for business attire?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellphll
Will an alligator belt be considered an appropriate match with calf shoes for business attire?

Sure, much like smooth leather belts go fine with suede shoes. Gator/croc aren't so loud that they clash with calf or call too much attention to themselves. Gator and croc shoes are a different story.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A brown croc belt and brown suede oxfords are a handsome combination for a casual business look.

khaki sack

Reaction score
Is alligator compatible with ,croc?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaki sack
Is alligator compatible with ,croc?

What do you mean by "compatible?"

Scale pattern are so similar most people can't tell the difference, even up close.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads