Allen edmunds shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sjimison, Sep 26, 2003.

1. sjimison

sjimison Member

Is Allen Edmunds chili color appropriate to wear with just about anything (navy to khaki suitings) like the cordovan color is. Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen a pair of cordovan shoes, can someone supply a link.
    Thanks.

2. scottmag

scottmag Well-Known Member

I like the AE chili color. Â In fact, I am really enamored with their Kingsley shoe in that color. http://www.amazon.com/exec....ZJMNLQK I am thinking this might be a great all-purpose shoe working with everything from jeans to suits. Â Any comments? Scott

3. freakseam

freakseam Senior member

4. Mitch D

Mitch D Well-Known Member

There has been some confusion,because some manufacturers use the term "cordovan" as a color,to mean a burgundy to black cherry color. True shell cordovan shoes are made from horsehide,and come in many different colors. For example, These,from Allen-Edmonds: [​IMG] or these,from Alden: [​IMG] or these,also from Alden: [​IMG]

5. Stu

Stu Senior member

Scott, I'm with Freakseam. I like those shoes too, but wouldn't pair them with jeans. I would pair them with a more casual suit, i.e. a cashmere and cotton tan summer suit, for example.

6. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

I'd wear them with jeans...

Mitch:

Love those Alden saddles. From Adam at Alden of Carmel?

Steve

7. Mitch D

Steve, Yes.. You certainly have an astute eye for fine footwear. [​IMG]

8. sjimison

sjimison Member

um guys... i know I'm new here, but no one has answered my question. lol.

9. freakseam

freakseam Senior member

re: chili color that is essentially a dark brown, so it is versatile as you describe, can be worn with just about anything. notable exception: black suit. re: cordovan http://www.aldenshop.com/cordovan.asp my comment 'not with jeans' refers to scottmag's post and is based on the shoe style (namely, the perforation detail), not color.

10. Mitch D

Forgive me,if I chose to concentrate on the latter part of your request first. I got distracted by the thought of posting those stunning shell cordovans. [​IMG] As to the first part of your question,IMO,chili -- a reddish brown,if my browser is representing correctly -- For example,these A-E Ashtons: [​IMG] certainly could be worn with a navy suit,brown belt,and red-toned tie,for a more European/Fashion Forward look,as well as khaki and other earth toned suits.

11. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

The AE chili shoes look great with a gray suit. Personally, I'm not comfortable wearing them with blue or black, but I've seen many men wearing this color with dark suits, and I must admit that it is a sharp look.

12. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Most people would call the Allen-Edmonds chili color cognac or British tan. It's a medium brown with a heavy red component. That particular color is extremely versatile: I'd wear it with navy, charcoal, khaki -- pretty much anything except black.

13. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

IMO, the AE chili would not be described as a British Tan. It has far too much red in it for that. The British Tan color is much more of a medium brown, with much less reddish tone. I would describe the chili as somewhere between a "cordovan" (the color, not the leather) and a brown, but tending toward the cordovan. I would say the two-tone Alden bluchers shown above are much more of a British Tan; note how different in color these are from the AE's shown.

This color looks nice with most pants, if you are willing to wear brown tones with blue and/or gray -- some traditionalists will only wear black with these colors. I have a pair of the AE Ashtons in Chili, and I wear them when travelling with jeans, khakis, and cords -- I think the shoes are a good travelling shoe because they are light, comfortable, and a pretty good compromise between a more formal look and a more casual style.

14. hermes

hermes Senior member

there is an interesting article on allen-edmonds in the latest issue of harry magazine from the harry rosen men's store in canada

15. scottmag

scottmag Well-Known Member

Any chance of a recap?