• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmunds - Fit of Executive Last 2

mdp0430

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the fit of this line of AE shoes?

I've always been a 10.5M in every shoe I've bought (e.g. Johnston Murphy, Cole Haan). After discovering this forum, I thought that I would give AE a try having been really disappointed with both JM and CH. I do alot of walking and I' constantly on my feet so I've been going through JM and CH shoes at a pretty quick rate. Plus, I really like the idea that AE recrafts just about all of their shoes.

So, I just bought a pair of AE Montgomery's on sale, which use the Executive Last-2 in a 10.5D. In short, they are HUGE! The heel on the right shoe is extremely loose-fitting and both shoes fit longer than what I'm used to. Concerned, I measured both feet on the Brannock device and sure enough I'm still a 10.5 medium. So what gives? I'm thinking about ordering a 10D, any advice?

What are your experiences? Have you had to size up or down with the Executive Last-2?

Rosencrantz1

Reaction score
I can't answer your question, but want to keep tabs on this thread - I have the exact same question (and the same 10.5D feet).

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz1
I can't answer your question, but want to keep tabs on this thread - I have the exact same question (and the same 10.5D feet).

I've got a pair of powells on the executive last, in 10D, and they fit slightly larger than my 10D soho's on the 0 last, say 1/4 size bigger. they are rather elongated and i think they are designed to accept an orthodic insole if anyone can confirm that, which explains the slightly higher volume.

Bentley

Reaction score
I've got a pair of Sohos in a 10 D and they seem to fit true to size. I do recall, though, that when I first bought the shoes they were pretty stiff and I had a similar issue of the right heal's rubbing.

I tried a pair of insoles that I bought from the pharmacy to try to correct the problem but it did not seem to help much.

I kept wearing the shoes, though, and they seem to have "broken in" over time.

You might also try treating them with some leather conditioner to soften them up. I did this with my shoes and it seemed to help a bit. I'm wearing the shoes now (having owned them for a couple of years at this point) and they are now quite comfortable.

You could try going a half size down but I suspect you'll be no better off. I just think that AE shoes tend to be constructed in a fairly thick/sturdy manner which probably helps them last but leads to some uncomfortable battles in the early days of ownership.

mdp0430

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentley
I've got a pair of Sohos in a 10 D and they seem to fit true to size. I do recall, though, that when I first bought the shoes they were pretty stiff and I had a similar issue of the right heal's rubbing.

I tried a pair of insoles that I bought from the pharmacy to try to correct the problem but it did not seem to help much.

I kept wearing the shoes, though, and they seem to have "broken in" over time.

You might also try treating them with some leather conditioner to soften them up. I did this with my shoes and it seemed to help a bit. I'm wearing the shoes now (having owned them for a couple of years at this point) and they are now quite comfortable.

You could try going a half size down but I suspect you'll be no better off. I just think that AE shoes tend to be constructed in a fairly thick/sturdy manner which probably helps them last but leads to some uncomfortable battles in the early days of ownership.

They're not stiff at all. They're just too big, both in width and seemingly in length... I think any breaking in, would render them useless. My right heel is literally lifting out of the shoe. Back they go for 10D's. I'll follow up on this thread when I get them back...

Bentley

Reaction score
Good luck. Keep us posted.

They are very nice shoes but, given the cost of them, you certainly want to make sure they are comfortable and that you can wear them regularly.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentley
They are very nice shoes but, given the cost of them, you certainly want to make sure they are comfortable and that you can wear them regularly.

+1

mdp0430

Reaction score
Well, I received the 10D and they seem to be too narrow. This is interesting since I have always been a medium. Back they go for a 10E. I fear the 10E may be too wide though... What a pain!

mdp0430

Reaction score
Thanks! Can't seem to find it via search. Any idea where to look?

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I had the Montgomery's and found them TTS. Similar to the PA, 5th, Mcallister last, maybe a bit wider but similar elongated toe. It's certainly smaller than some of other AE's lasts like whatever one the Mora is on or the Clifton's last.

Valproate

Reaction score
Executive last 2 is weird. I have the Sutter (8D) and the Van Ness (also 8D), which are both Executive Last-2. Sutter is tight overall, but doesn't hit any particular pressure points on my feet. Van Ness feels roomier overall, but really irritates the bunion on my left foot. Go figure.

mdp0430

Reaction score
Just wanted to provide some closure to this thread. I ended up with both the Strand and the Delray in brown in 10D. I tried to like the Montgomery, even took it home in a 10E, but even after walking around the house it still felt super tight and seemed to push my foot down and forward. The Strand and Delray felt like wearing slippers arfter taking the Montgomery off. Glad I exchanged the Montgomery for the Delray, wearing them now!

If you're interested in the Executive Last, the guy at the store said they were redesigning them and adding more cushioning (he showed me a Lombard which was completely different than the others in the Executive family). So you may want to hold out for a bit...

Hope someone finds this info useful....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads