• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen edmonds. Would you buy 2 pairs of strands?

movoblast

Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of strands in Walnut and love the color. I got these firsts for $170. I am trying to transition from casual jeans/tshirt/clarks chukka boots to more business casual apparel since I am in a healthcare professional school and my professors are always encouraging us to dress more professionally when meeting with patients.

I ultimately want to own 3 pairs of nice shoes to rotate (one black, one dark brown, one lighter pair which I just bought). I LOVE the strand by FAR out of all the allen edmonds styles with broguing.

I originally planned on purchasing the McAllister for my dark brown pair and fifth avenues for my black pair. But I am now in a dilemma of buying a dark brown pair of strands (firsts) for the same price ($170) or waiting and buying the McAllister for 15% off during the Rediscover America sale. The fact that I could get the strands for a cheaper price than the mcallisters(which are my third favorite style) makes me want to jump on the deal.

I wouldn't mind having 2 out of my 3 pairs of shoes being in the same style. But do you think the general population would notice?

Last edited:

Wayward

Reaction score
The general population wouldn't notice. More importantly though, why does it matter? If it looks good, and it's by far your favourite styling, then guess what? Chances are, you'll reach for the Strands far more than the other 2 pairs and ironically then, it may be more noticeable because you'll be wearing the SAME pair of Strands all the time.

So you don't go overboard though, I'd suggest you pick up 1 more pair, and see how it works with 2. Unless it's making you self-conscious for whatever reason, then by all means. Strands get a lot of love around here too, so I think you've made the right choice.

descartes

Reaction score
I am also thinking about picking up a second pair of strands. I doubt anyone will notice or even care. The big question is where are you getting strand firsts for 170.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with buying multiples in different colours. I felt the same way about the AE Mora. Bought 2 pairs, 1 black & 1 brown. Welcome to Styleforum movoblast and descartes.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am also thinking about picking up a second pair of strands. I doubt anyone will notice or even care. The big question is where are you getting strand firsts for 170.

Haha yeah this. Honestly though, I see no problems in having strands in multiple colors.

movoblast

Reaction score
The general population wouldn't notice. More importantly though, why does it matter? If it looks good, and it's by far your favourite styling, then guess what? Chances are, you'll reach for the Strands far more than the other 2 pairs and ironically then, it may be more noticeable because you'll be wearing the SAME pair of Strands all the time.

So you don't go overboard though, I'd suggest you pick up 1 more pair, and see how it works with 2. Unless it's making you self-conscious for whatever reason, then by all means. Strands get a lot of love around here too, so I think you've made the right choice.

Thanks for being so helpful and welcoming guys. It was weird because what got me interested in nicer shoes were the McAllisters. They looked awesome online so I went into the Allen Edmonds retail store and went straight to the salesman and asked to try on a pair. Then as I was walking out of the store, I quickly browsed at the fifth/park avenues, the different color neumoks and mctavishes, then the strands. Although both the McAllisters and Strands have lots of broguing, when compared side by side, the Strands looked a lot...neater? I can't really pinpoint why I like the strands better, but I think its that the mcallisters look a little too "busy" for my taste now.

I mean I wouldn't mind having McAllisters (they are really beautiful and what got me interested in Allen edmonds shoes in the first place), but with limited budget (I'm a grad/professional student), I didn't want to spend money on a different style JUST for the sake of having two different styles. I'm glad it isn't something horribly faux pas.

And by the way, I ended up with dark brown cordovan Strands from the shoebank sale. It was the most impulsive purchase ever, and I was thinking of cancelling it over the past couple hours, but I received confirmation that it was shipped. Whelps I guess two pairs of Strands for me.

Do you guys have any advice for my third pair. Over on the main allen edmonds appreciation forum, another member told me to ditch the black park avenues because they are too dressy. I would mainly be wearing these on the clinic floor with cords/trousers/khakis, a nice shirt, and a nice sweater over if it gets colder.

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys have any advice for my third pair. Over on the main allen edmonds appreciation forum, another member told me to ditch the park avenues because they are too dressy. 

Since black is the color you are missing, park avenue would be a solid choice. That said, you could always get McAllisters in black. If I were you, and you don't mind spending a little extra. I would go for the park avenue in black and the McAllisters in merlot (dark burgundy).

DHD28

Reaction score
If it helps, I currently have the walnut pair and will be getting the dark brown Strand first thing Monday morning.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just purchased a pair of strands in Walnut and love the color... But I am now in a dilemma of buying a dark brown pair of strands (firsts) for the same price ($170) or waiting and buying the McAllister for 15% off during the Rediscover America sale. I wouldn't mind having 2 out of my 3 pairs of shoes being in the same style. But do you think the general population would notice?

No one will notice. You only ever wear one pair at a time, so don't worry.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys have any advice for my third pair. Over on the main allen edmonds appreciation forum, another member told me to ditch the black park avenues because they are too dressy. I would mainly be wearing these on the clinic floor with cords/trousers/khakis, a nice shirt, and a nice sweater over if it gets colder. 

You definitely should get a pair of black Park Aves. You will certainly be needing them eventually. Any nighttime event, or formal events such as graduations, weddings, funerals, etc. Hell, just going out to dinner at a nice restaurant calls for nice black shoes. Just don't wear them with khakis, cords or jeans. Wear them with grey wool trousers and you can't go wrong.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since black is the color you are missing, park avenue would be a solid choice. That said, you could always get McAllisters in black. If I were you, and you don't mind spending a little extra. I would go for the park avenue in black and the McAllisters in merlot (dark burgundy).

Absolutely! +1!

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having 2 out of my 3 pairs of shoes being in the same style. But do you think the general population would notice?

No, they won't notice. And your shoes will be nicer than 95% of the general population in any event. I tend to go for maximum versatility within the rotation - no exact duplication of style or colour - but I see nothing at all wrong with making the most of a style that really works perfectly for you by getting two pairs in different shades.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads