• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds - Walnut - Striping?

johnteachl

Reaction score
I just got a pair of the Allen Edmonds Bel Air in Walnut, I am very pleased with the shoes but the walnut dye appears to be striped? Anyone else have this experience? A couple results came back after I searched but I am wondering how the color will age after many cream/conditioner applications. Trying to determine if I am going to return them (got them at a good basis - $129 NIB).

Will post pics later,

Thanks guys!

wgiceman

Reaction score
I have a pair of Soho's in the cognac color that has the subtle striping. My Evanston's also have a subtle striping, but it is less than the Soho's. To me, the striping turned out to be an antiquing effect that I ended up liking the most. It has not polished out and it looks very unique to me.

My walnut Strands don't have the striping that you mention; neither do my Bel Air's. In my case, I chose not to return either pair, but if it bothers you, you probably should return them. (Just my opinion.)

jays978

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnteachl
I just got a pair of the Allen Edmonds Bel Air in Walnut, I am very pleased with the shoes but the walnut dye appears to be striped? Anyone else have this experience? A couple results came back after I searched but I am wondering how the color will age after many cream/conditioner applications. Trying to determine if I am going to return them (got them at a good basis - $129 NIB).

Will post pics later,

Thanks guys!

There is also striping on my Fifth Ave's. AE sort of...sucks

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen both the Soho's and Belair's in walnut and didn't like the "antiquing" job AT ALL. and I'm not a high standard guy, but I would have just preferred they keep it simple and let it come naturally.

I would have bought both otherwise.

don't get me wrong, I like and bought both shoes... got the Soho's in black (my version of the PA) and the Bel Air's in brown suede

soxpats

Reaction score
$129.00? Did you get them as seconds? Did you purchase them at an AE store or a factory outlet/shoe bank? Just wondering if that's why they were only $129.00

johnteachl

Reaction score
Yes, they are seconds I assume the striping is the reason being. I have to admit the more and more I look at them the more I like it, don't get me wrong had I the choice I would not go with the stripe look but I think I can live with it because I love the shoe.

I'll tell you what; it definitely gives the shoes character, just deciding if it's the right character.

jays978

Reaction score
Yes, they are seconds I assume the striping is the reason being. I have to admit the more and more I look at them the more I like it, don't get me wrong had I the choice I would not go with the stripe look but I think I can live with it because I love the shoe.

I'll tell you what; it definitely gives the shoes character, just deciding if it's the right character.

Neh, my Fifth Aves were firsts straight from the factory. Only the left shoe had the striping. AE is very inconsistent.

jimmyv

Reaction score
My Evanstons have a bit of it I don't think I'd call it "stripes" exactly. It's fairly subtle on mine. I doubt anyone outside of this forum would even notice.

scooby-doo

Reaction score
This past Monday I was at the AE Shoe Bank in Port Washington, WI. They were still having a special deal for the PGA last weekend. I picked up a pair of Weybridges (Chili color) and these Bel Airs (walnut). I picked up both for $99 each! I wore the Bel Airs for about 8 hours and they feel great. Is the striping you mention showing in these images (click to make them larger)? I think they look quite nice actually.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
looks like someone used the wrong color polish on a shoe to me... which is actually almost exactly what happened, a poorly applied darker dye.

soxpats

Reaction score

For that price I would just enjoy the shoes and not let it bother me.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The proper name for this AE Bel Air finish is 'Burnished Walnut'.
I also have a pair and love the finish.
Do a Google search on the burnishing process to understand how it is achieved.
You boys got a great deal on your Bel Airs.
I paid full retail for mine, and in Toronto Canada, with taxes, it worked out to just under $450.
Really nice shoes though.
Vox, you don't know what you're missing. Cheers.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brand new pair of Fifth Ave's in Walnut, haven't worn them yet. Read this thread and pulled them from the box...son of a *****, they have a bit of striping to the finish!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads