• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds or Alden!?

• Allen Edmonds

Votes: 168 44.9%
  • Alden

Votes: 206 55.1%

• Total voters

JermynStreet

Reaction score
I love them both!!!! How do you choose?

Alden Shell Cordovan Balmoral Wingtips next to Allen Edmonds Cordovan Cambridge?!

Post YOUR favorite pics and opinions!

Last edited:

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Sorry...here are my pics!

JermynStreet

Reaction score
That's allen Edmonds on right, Alden on the left!

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I already voted on the unofficial poll.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this could turn into an entertaining thread to read, if people will keep their biases at bay and have objective conversation. This is a favorite discussion topic of mine. To start off though, I think it definitely depends on the individual shoe model if we are talking Alden vs. Allen Edmonds as a whole. I don't have either of the particular models you started the thread about, so can't discuss those particular models. Let the games begin!
fight[1].gif

I made a comment in this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/317907/straight-and-to-the-point-ae-or-alden# and nobody ever continued the conversation.

Luvwine

Reaction score
I am interested in the results of this. I tried to buy an Alden once, but the shoe I tried did not fit me well. I have a number of pairs of Allen Edmonds and the Cambridge in burgundy shell is one of my favorites. i did ave to send back a couple of defective pairs before I got one Idefect free, however. Thus I do have some concerns about their quality control.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Nice collection there. As you can see above I have both of the wingtips in shell. Honestly, I love my aldens but they feel much heavier and fit much clunkier than my AEs. I'd be interested to see how the cordovan boot evaluations come back once everyone has their cordovan daltons/fifthstreet/chukkas from the WEBGEM offer last month. I think that the boots were scheduled for delivery around Nov. 23? .....perfect thing to kick back with right after a fattening turkey dinner.
nod[1].gif

lithdoc

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds for sure. First of all, Alden is tough to get in my size (14E), and AE offers excellent quality, much wider retailer network with excellent customer support. Also, you can often score AE on a great sale, unlike Alden.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will find considerably strong support on this forum for both brands. At over 30 pair of AE to my one pair of Alden, (this doesn't include my other shoes from other manufacturers) I am unalterably commited to AE between the two manufacturers. The madness all started when I noticed one major difference between the 2 manufacturers. Alden shoes typically feature a cushioned footbed whereas AE feature it only on certain models and infrequently. Now I would prefer the extra comfort of Alden but that one feature didn't (the way I reasoned it at that time) justify the price difference to me so I became an AE consumer. Also, with the savings, I could afford more shoes in AE than Alden. Perhaps I chose quantity over quality at that time as most people would. To be clear, I am perfectly happy with my AE shoes and enjoy all day comfort and receive numerous compliments, as I do with my one pair of Alden (966's on Aberdeen last). Were I to start over again, I would do some things differently. I would purchase more Alden and/or purchase AE adding a cushioned footbed at extra cost. AE has also signifigantly stepped up their game in the last two years and offer far more attractive models to choose from. At this point in my life, I will probably stay with AE.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will find considerably strong support on this forum for both brands. At over 30 pair of AE to my one pair of Alden, (this doesn't include my other shoes from other manufacturers) I am unalterably commited to AE between the two manufacturers. The madness all started when I noticed one major difference between the 2 manufacturers. Alden shoes typically feature a cushioned footbed whereas AE feature it only on certain models and infrequently. Now I would prefer the extra comfort of Alden but that one feature didn't (the way I reasoned it at that time) justify the price difference to me so I became an AE consumer. Also, with the savings, I could afford more shoes in AE than Alden. Perhaps I chose quantity over quality at that time as most people would. To be clear, I am perfectly happy with my AE shoes and enjoy all day comfort and receive numerous compliments, as I do with my one pair of Alden (966's on Aberdeen last). Were I to start over again, I would do some things differently. I would purchase more Alden and/or purchase AE adding a cushioned footbed at extra cost. AE has also signifigantly stepped up their game in the last two years and offer far more attractive models to choose from. At this point in my life, I will probably stay with AE.

I think it is good to remember here that the primary reason for the difference between Alden and AE when it comes to the cushioned sock liner is because of differences in construction. AE is the only manufacterer of goodyear welted shoes that does not secure the heels to the shoe by driving nails down through the insole into the heel. The cushioned sock liner was implemented to cover up the nail heads that are present in the heel area of the inside of the shoe. Without that sock liner your heel would be feeling the steel nail heads as the surrounding leather compressed under your heel over time. Many feel that this comes to a difference in comfort, and who am I to argue this since it is subjective, but the evidence creates an important arguement against the importance of a cushioned sock liner. This evidence is that generally the sock liner is only a 1/2 - 3/4 length liner. The ball of the foot (which is generally more sensitive than the heel) rests on the natural leather insole just like in an AE. If the natural leather is good enough for the ball of the foot, it should be good enough for the heel as well. Also, many orthopedic insoles are made of harder material than the natural leather insole, and people don't complain about comfort issues with those (such as Superfeet's hard plastic 3/4 length insole) Again, not trying to create an arguement here, since comfort is subjective. I think many have decided that since the "nicer" English made shoes, as well as Alden use these cushioned sock liners, it must me a necessary hallmark of quality. When in fact, it may simply be an un-necessary piece that AE is able to save you money on by not putting it in the shoe.

Last edited:

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Definitely agree. However, if you look at the pics I posed above, I think that AE has a much more tailored approach than Alden. The toecaps, for instance, on the Alden wingtips (I don't know the model number) are much more rounded and bulbous looking. It looks like an old shoe despite being purchased in early august. The AEs have a much tighter, better fitting design for my feet. I feel less clunky walking around in the AEs than the Aldens. Also, one other huge consideration that I never took into account except when I started walking to work, is that AEs are significantly, SIGNIFICANTLY lighter. I like how AE has found a possibility to make a well constructed shoe without the trademark steel shank that Alden employs. I love both shoes, but AE has advanced with the times (especially with Grangaard as CEO
thumbs-up.gif
), and IMO, really made a case for buying American shoes much more effectively than Alden.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely agree. However, if you look at the pics I posed above, I think that AE has a much more tailored approach than Alden. The toecaps, for instance, on the Alden wingtips (I don't know the model number) are much more rounded and bulbous looking. It looks like an old shoe despite being purchased in early august. The AEs have a much tighter, better fitting design for my feet. I feel less clunky walking around in the AEs than the Aldens. Also, one other huge consideration that I never took into account except when I started walking to work, is that AEs are significantly, SIGNIFICANTLY lighter. I like how AE has found a possibility to make a well constructed shoe without the trademark steel shank that Alden employs. I love both shoes, but AE has advanced with the times (especially with Grangaard as CEO
thumbs-up.gif
), and IMO, really made a case for buying American shoes much more effectively than Alden.

It is interesting how often people feel that Alden's are significantly heavier than AE's, but no plausible explanation for this is ever offered. Obviously the steel shank plays a role in increasing weight, but most authorities seem to say that it should be minimal. I also remember reading in a AAAC forum where Paul Grangaard was participating in a conversation related to this, and he said that he is puzzled as to why someone would notice a significant difference in weight as long as they were comparing two shoes of similar type (in other words don't compare a calfskin shoe to a cordovan shoe, or a double sole to a single sole, etc.) Are your Cambridges significantly lighter than your Alden Cordovan Wingtips, and are the soles in similar stages of wear?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads