1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds vs. Alden--Which American Great Do You Prefer?!! OFFICIAL

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JermynStreet, Nov 11, 2012.

Allen Edmonds or Alden!?

1. Allen Edmonds

152 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. Alden

172 vote(s)
    53.1%
  1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

My friend, you are crazy. Unless you have some personal knowledge of, or experience with working under Alden's CEO in his factory, I don't know how you could possibly judge him in this manner. As I said earlier... just the shoes please. If you're unhappy with the shoes, buy something else. I personally believe Alden makes a far superior product (and I realize I have to pay a little more for it). You can choose to think otherwise. I won't judge you, Paul, or AE for it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. thetasmanian

thetasmanian Member

3. thetasmanian

thetasmanian Member

Interesting thoughts, I do not yet have any shell (the first are on their way) and I must confess that in terms of purchasing I had decuided to get two Oxfords (Wing Tip?) and two Derby's (Long wing) brogues, in black and also in Burgundy. Anything else that I may wish for in the future could be made (ie. Chelsea boots) as and when needed, but to be honest a large number of shoes are better in leather (from a cow), or simply not within my range of taste's (thankfully I am a simple man).

Perhaps you post gives us all cause to pause and think of those who can not get these shoes at all (for want of money of knowledge). Thank you for reminding me.

4. ReppTiePrepster

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  5. ReppTiePrepster

Am I supposed to be insulted, humbled, morally corrected, scolded, etc... by this comment?? Again, I have no idea what you are trying to say. This is a forum on Alden and AE shoes. Pictures of various styles come with the territory. I'm sorry if you feel that I have slighted you with the number of pictures of shell cordovan shoes I have posted, but again we are making a comparison.

If by chance English is a second language for you, I do not mean to make light of your grammar and ability to communicate in the English language. If English is your first language, with all due respect, please proofread and edit what you write, or none of us will have a clue what you are trying to say.

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

It took me a while to figure out what he was talking about as well. I think he's referring to what I have circled in red below:

[​IMG]

Alden's model only has decorative stitching in that area, while the comparable Allen Edmonds has an additional piece of leather as part of the upper.

I was confused by his posts earlier as well, thinking that he was generalizing all Allen Edmonds and all Alden's when he was making his comments (which of course can't be done). It would have saved a lot of confusion if a specific model and picture was referenced from the very beginning. As you said, this is a thread about AE and Alden preferences in general, not just to the specific wingtips in the above photo.

1 person likes this.
  7. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

While I am not a huge fan of buying used, it is unfair to say you should never do it. People buy and sell shoes all the time with no ill effect. Also, the cork bed is not a huge deal: (1) While it may not perfectly re-adjust to the new foot, it will conform to the new foot with some "artifacts" from its previous owner, (2) When the shoe is re-crafted, a new cork bed is laid.

8. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I've purchased plenty of used shoes... I haven't noticed what all this "cork footbed" hubbub is about.

9. ReppTiePrepster

Thanks for helping to clarify MWS. Not sure it changes my views of either. However, i am seriously considering acquiring the burgundy Cambridge next week in the Rediscover America sale. Part of me says to spend the extra $100 for the BB shortwing bal/oxford in color 8. I have tried it and loved it. I will go to the local AE store to try the Cambridge some time this week and make a decision.

10. ReppTiePrepster

I personally don't care to buy used shoes as I am a bit of a germaphobe. However, if you buy shoes that have little to light use behind them, I'm not sure the corkbed issue is significant. But with shoes that have serious mileage behind them, the corkbed imprint could be significant.

2 people like this.
  11. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

So I have both the Alden short wing Bal and the AE Cambridge...they really are almost different shoes. I find the Alden much more suitable for sport coat occasions and slacks whereas the last of the Cambridge seems to be more conducive to suit wearing and sport coat wearing. I agree with MWS that the broguing on the Alden seems to be finished finer, but the Tremont last makes the shoe look bigger, thicker, almost country-like. The cord is much finer on the Alden-there is no question about that, but the fit and sleekness on the Cambridge really make it a more versatile shoe.

1 person likes this.
  12. ReppTiePrepster

I completely agree with you J-Street. However, I'm not interested in Alden's 974 (tremont last). I'm considering the BB version which is on the M-75 last which is very different than the tremont. You are correct that the tremont is big, bulky, and round; not quite as pronounced as the barrie, but certainly country-like.

The M-75 last is a very different animal. I love its sleek shape, comfort, and color 8 finish. It's in a similar category as the 5 last. I can get the BB version for about $690-700. With the Rediscover Am sale, I can get the Cambridge for about $550. I will try to determine if the BB version is worth the extra dinero.

13. latestyle

latestyle Active Member

Curious if anyone has seen the Alden 6 eyelet chukka (mentioned above) for sale recently ? I've searched a good bit but have come up empty. Thanks

14. MoneyWellSpent

You would probably have better luck asking this question over in The Official Alden Thread.

15. ReppTiePrepster

Took a look at the shell cambridge (AE) in burgundy. Very nice fit, but the shell looked terrible. I suspect it is a shoe that has been in the store for a while. I don't know if AE shell ages this way, but I have seen this with a great deal of AE shell models in store. The color looks like it fades, almost like it was colored with a crayon. Additionally, the different pieces of shell on the shoe had different shades of burgundy making it look like patch-work. (I've seen this with both AE and Alden from time to time) Needless to say, I decided not to go with it. I thought of ordering it directly through the website in hopes of getting a newer pair, but decided not to since I'd rather not discover a couple of months later that my shoes would transform in this manner.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?? I may just stay with AE calf models...

16. truthancisco

truthancisco Member

I only have experience with AE and Alden calfskin, but it feels to me like the Alden have a thicker and maybe slightly longer in the toe direction heel. Almost like it's got another piece of leather in their AE's don't.

17. MoneyWellSpent

I'm not following you. [​IMG]

18. truthancisco

truthancisco Member

The heelcap area feels more substatial and like it wraps around farther. Almost like there is another piece in there the AE dont have

19. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

The disparity among pieces of shell goes with the turf. Shell is more impermeable than calfskin, and each shell takes the dye a bit differently. A friend who works a lot with shell--and has close ties to the Horweens--tells me that you could have a hundred shells from the same dye lot, and each would still look slightly different from the rest.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  20. ReppTiePrepster