Allen Edmonds vs. Alden--Which American Great Do You Prefer?!! OFFICIAL

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JermynStreet, Nov 11, 2012.

Allen Edmonds or Alden!?

1. Allen Edmonds

152 vote(s)
    46.5%
  2. Alden

175 vote(s)
    53.5%
  1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Thanks, good to know.

Out of curiousity, do you consider most AE's sleeker than Alden's? Or do you just prefer them for the better QC and lower price?

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Still tied. 27-27. Lolz.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

A heel is falling off of a pair of Park Aves. I wish to change my vote. 28-26 Alden.

4. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

This is how I breakdown the two companies:

Selection: AE
    Construction: Alden
    Value: AE
    Comfort: Alden
    Quality Control: I agree both need improvement. My experience is AE has construction issues whereas Alden has finishing issues
    Customer Service: AE

Last shape and fit is hard to tell because of numerous variables. It is a hard comparison because each company has different strengths. I liken this to a C&J vs. Tricker's comparison. Both are good companies but may have different followings for style/fit/last reasons.

I wore AE for smart shoes but have since transitioned to another (better?) brand. I still have a large selection of Alden because I do like their shell footwear for more casual days.

5. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

as owner of both, I agree on dsmivtr general assessment above. I personally give AE a light edge overall b/c of value (calf offerings) and customer service, but I think Alden's cordovan products (esp color 8) and boot selection are superior. I also think Alden's appeal and "exclusivity" are due to selected distribution channels.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

This is all true. I wish AE would improve their boot portfolio. I also think the turnover rate in their boots is too fast and I wish they would keep certain boots (the more successful ones) around as a semi-permanent/permanent additions to their range. I know AE is more about staying current, but I think they could afford to add a couple of boots to their "Timeless Classics" collection that will be around for years to come. I may not need a particular pair right now, but it would be nice to know they will be around when I do.

7. Harold falcon

And Alden takes the lead! 30-29!!!

8. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

I'm new to the world of nice shoes and have started with AE. I like that I can get them at discount prices and the customer service is excellent. I do not find AE or Alden to be very sleek but in general I think AE has better looking lasts. In the future I will likely look to other manufacturers if I want sleeker shoes.

9. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Since I am a sucker for LWB, I am a big fan of Alden's Barrie-lasted LWB which I have 2 pairs of. I bought 2 pairs of AE around 10 years ago - currently keeping one as beater and sold the other one.

Other than Alden's Barrie-lasted LWB :inlove:, I have no allegiance towards either brand. OK, the JCrew plain Toe boots is kind of nice too.

Ideally, I would like all Alden LWB to be offered at AE calf pricing.

10. dbhdnhdbh

dbhdnhdbh Senior member

Alden, but not for "quality" reasons. I just find they fit my feet well. I have tried lots of AE's, different lasts and sizes, and never felt comfortable. Also, I find more arch support, for me, with Alden.

Appearance- too subjective even to vote.

I am not qualified to comment on relative quality. I gather people who know much more about shoe construction than I consider both to be well made brands.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Wut did u voat for Harv?

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Between the 2 manufacturers, I would wager that Harvey is most likely an Alden man and I want to be just like him when I grow up.
    What I would like to know is why Allen Edmonds no longer makes womens shoes. They would corner the North American market if they did.

13. Harold falcon

I did vote Alden, but that is primarily because I am in love with Shell Cordovan and I feel that Alden's selection in this regard is slightly better. But I own many AE shoes as well. And I often tell men that the first shoe they should buy is an AE Park Avenue. It is an iconic American shoe and no shoe wardrobe is complete without one.

Also as I've posted elsewhere the AE Bayfield is an excellent boot. I am an avid hiker and I have taken the Bayfields to Alaska and all up and down the Appalachian trail.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I voted Alden because of their shell cordo shoes. I own several and love them. I'm not a fan of calf in AE or Alden.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

15. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I used to agree, but now find the park avenue completely unwearable due to the short toe cap