• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Verona II recent changes?? (for the worst)

prostyles

Reaction score
I've a huge fan of the Verona II as an everyday wearer (as opposed to my Gucci 1953's) because of the lower price point and the ability to recraft. They've been a trusty part of my wardrobe for the last several years. I've owned two pair over the years and have always had them recrafted until they were literally un-recraftable. Unfortunate, I reached this point in November of 2018 and was forced into purchasing a new pair from from the local AE retail store in my town (a got great Black Friday pricing btw). I was unpleasantly surprised to see that the latest iteration had some minor changes that really bothered me. First, it seems as if the shoes are slightly narrower and shorter than my previous pairs. Second, the tip of the shoes appears slightly more rounded. And lastly, and most importantly, it appears they are using a new insole (and possibly a different interior lining), which is causing a horrible squeaking noise with every step. I;ve attached some photos below comparing the two different versions.

FORTUNATELY, I was able to find a retail store in a different city who happened to have a pair of the "old" version, so I'm happy for now (but also now own a pair I wont wear - if anyone wants to buy them, I'm happy to sell at a great discount - 12D.)

Does anyone have any insight as to the changes or experienced the same?

(Note that the last picture seems as if the shoes are different sizes, but they are not. Just a bad angle with the camera. They are both 12D and the same length in reality.)

IMG_9470.png

IMG_9471.png

IMG_9468.png

IMG_9472.png

Last edited:

prostyles

Reaction score
Are there any AE employees in this forum that might have some insight?

Prask

Reaction score
It also seems that they are now cemented and not recraftable. I asked when this change happened and the response is that they were never recraftable. What is going on at AE? If they aren't, they aren't worth the cost.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It also seems that they are now cemented and not recraftable. I asked when this change happened and the response is that they were never recraftable. What is going on at AE? If they aren't, they aren't worth the cost.

Just because AE says they are not re-craftable doesn't mean that they can't be re-soled. They don't do Blake stitched soles. Many of their shoes made off-shore are Blake stitched. Since AE doesn't have the ability (nor machinery) to re-craft a Blake stitched shoe they deem it non re-craftable. From what I can see (and from my experience) a reputable repair shop can easily re-sole them.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because AE says they are not re-craftable doesn't mean that they can't be re-soled. They don't do Blake stitched soles. Many of their shoes made off-shore are Blake stitched. Since AE doesn't have the ability (nor machinery) to re-craft a Blake stitched shoe they deem it non re-craftable. From what I can see (and from my experience) a reputable repair shop can easily re-sole them.
I see the differences. Especially in the length. And same size shoe? Remarkable. Perhaps some wearers were complaining of them being too long? Who knows. Thanks for the post. Ps. Not likely you'll hear from an AE employee as from what I've heard they are no longer allowed to post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads