• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds used shoes need advice!!

its299792458mps

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently bought a pair of allen edmonds on ebay. I bought them cause i know of allen edmond's recrafting service but heard that they don't recraft shoes what were already resoled by someone else before. This worries me cause the ones i got had black outsoles so i asked the seller but he said they weren't resoled by an outside source.

here's the site with pictures:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1625wt_905

Thanks in advance for those who reply.

BdeRWest

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I bought a pair of A.E. cordovan longwings that had some rubber monstrosity where their original leather heel was, and A.E. recrafted them for me, no questions asked. New sole, new heel, like new. Looking at the photos, though, are you sure the sole doesn't simply have a protective covering on it, e.g., topy? If you read between the lines in their Recrafting F.A.Q., it sounds like you can send the shoes to them, and if they've been properly resoled by another cobbler, A.E. will probably be able to resole them, but if they've been butchered by some sadist in a strip mall shop, had "leather" soles glued on, &c., they (A.E.) might not do it. I suppose the best way to find out would be to send them the shoes, perhaps with a call ahead explaining your situation. That's what I did.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like the sole has been polished black.

And even if AE won't do it, a competant local cobbler would do just fine. If anything actually needs doing.

Good luck with 'em, those look like they'll be very pretty shoes once cleaned up. They have a very nice patina, that's for sure.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

its299792458mps

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I heard if i take them to an AE retailer they would be able to give me a definitive answer too, but they do look like they've been sprayed with a coating. Thanks!

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
To me, it looks like the soles were dyed. Shouldn't be a problem having them recrafted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads