Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds "Traveler"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clarinetplayer, Sep 18, 2006.

1. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Has anyone purchased/worn a pair of the Allen Edmonds "casual comfort" shoe, the "Traveler"? Any comments? Worth the money?

[​IMG]

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'm not a fan of sneaker/shoe hybrids. I think each serves a good purpose - when dressing up, wear nice leather shoes. When dressing down, wear sneakers. If it's a dress-casual situation, wear a pair of leather ankle boots or rubber-soled blutchers.

To me, shoes in this style remind me of 1998-2001.

3. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

They look like any other bowling shoe.

4. alexei

alexei Senior member

I'm going to buy either the Day-Tripper or the Traveler within the next few weeks... I can let you know after that. But I haven't had time to go try them out at the Chicago AE store and none of the AE vendors in my area sell them.

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

For a shoe that is non-recraftable and has heels with air pockets in them, which will wear down and out quickly, $230 seems like a lot of money to me. (No seconds are ever going to be offered either, I am told). There is a lot of similar product in ultra-casual shoes for a lot less money, it seems to me. They may not have all the excellent design features of the A-Es, and they won't be made in the USA, but if they do the job, that's what counts.

I have both colors of the Wilbert that I bought for a lot less money. Better looking shoes, IMO, and re-craftable. If I wanted something else on that order in the current A-E line, I'd rather get the Fulton (seconds, of course).

6. Carey

Carey Senior member

Tods among others have much more fashionable rubber soled shoes. When will this whole bicycle shoe thing die the death it deserves?

7. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

I'm not a fan of sneaker/shoe hybrids. I think each serves a good purpose - when dressing up, wear nice leather shoes. When dressing down, wear sneakers. If it's a dress-casual situation, wear a pair of leather ankle boots or rubber-soled blutchers.

To me, shoes in this style remind me of 1998-2001.

I agree. This look is very dated now, and it's not really appropriate for a wide variety of situations.

8. alexei

alexei Senior member

While it is still my intent to buy the Day-Tripper, the Traveler is growing on me slightly (though I'm not sure enough). Anyway, the Day-Tripper is very similar. The Wilbert seems to be a very different shoe aside from having a rubber sole. You call this a sneaker/shoe hybrid, but it's really just a well-made sneaker - that's it, don't give it undue credit. I don't recommend wearing this style of shoe for anything other than casual situations.