• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Suede brush?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Same use. The rubber bristles are gentler than the steel wire one. Use the latter very sparingly, only if there is a stain that needs a bit more aggression.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The suede brush I bought (very cheaply, from a local supermarket!) claimed the wire side was for suede and the rubber side was for nubuck. Any truth to this?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get exactly the same device from Nordstrom under the "Synovia" brand name. I find it less useful than a simple brush and eraser, but occasionally it comes in handy for my suede shoes.

boat_7

Reaction score
Sorry to have to bring this thread up again.

Does anyone know what the sides of the brush for (i.e. the is a rubber piece that stick out from the side of the brush). So am I correct to say that for regular brushing, I should use the rubber brush and only keep the steel for removal of stain? Thank you.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In contrast to my earlier querying post of a few years ago, experience since tells me that the best side to use on suede for day-to-day use is the rubber side, and reserving the wire for when I need to get a hard-to-shift stain out.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
In contrast to my earlier querying post of a few years ago, experience since tells me that the best side to use on suede for day-to-day use is the rubber side, and reserving the wire for when I need to get a hard-to-shift stain out.

+1, rubber suede brush all the way

I bought mine from Timberland online for $6 or so IIRC

I bought it to use on a butter-soft lambskin leather RLPL jacket, and it works great! No scuffing at all on the jacket, and it reduces stains quite a bit, even oil from my skin that seeped into the collar area.

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boat_7
Does anyone know what the sides of the brush for (i.e. the is a rubber piece that stick out from the side of the brush).

I bought one of these from AE a few months ago. The saleperson told me that the part you're referring to is used to clean dirt or mud from the seam between the upper and the sole.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast

Yes. I am always amazed how well this works.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40