• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Strandmok slight heel slip/squeak. Help please.

michaeljohnr

Reaction score
I have a new pair of Allen Edmonds Strandmok shoes.

The fit sizewise is good. I could not go smaller. The width is good. The problem I am having is when I walk my heel moves up ever so sligntly in the heelcup and when I plant my foot I get an audible squeak between my sock and the heel portion of the shoe. It happens with both feet.

I did notice the leather in the heel area is very smooth versus the less smooth leather around the rest of the interior.

Can anyone provide advice on whether this is normal and if it is not can anything be done to remedy this?

I called AE and they offered to take the shoes in to have a look but before I send them in I wanted to ask here.

As always, thanks.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE are the experts and best placed to comment/suggest action/take action.

Is the "slight movement" such as to suggest that they don't actually fit properly. Remember your heel is just as much a part of your feet which needs to be accommodated in properly fitting shoes and this might imply that the model/last is not suited to those feet.

It might also be worth speaking to someone in the shop where you bought them, there are such things as shoe socks which can take up limited amounts of excess capacity in the shoe. I have never used them and am therefore not familiar with the different types but they are worth a thought.

michaeljohnr

Reaction score
AE are the experts and best placed to comment/suggest action/take action.

Is the "slight movement" such as to suggest that they don't actually fit properly. Remember your heel is just as much a part of your feet which needs to be accommodated in properly fitting shoes and this might imply that the model/last is not suited to those feet.

It might also be worth speaking to someone in the shop where you bought them, there are such things as shoe socks which can take up limited amounts of excess capacity in the shoe. I have never used them and am therefore not familiar with the different types but they are worth a thought.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate your time.

Regards.

iviustang50h

Reaction score
I had this issue with a pair of AE loafers and they recommended tongue pads, which are exactly what they sound like: pads that stick to the tongue that help lock your heel in place more securely. If it doesn't work out or you don't like it, the pad will leave sticky residue on the underside of the tongue, so whether this is something you want to try is up to you. But as @GBR said, it certainly sounds like a fit issue. Good luck.

michaeljohnr

Reaction score
I had this issue with a pair of AE loafers and they recommended tongue pads, which are exactly what they sound like: pads that stick to the tongue that help lock your heel in place more securely. If it doesn't work out or you don't like it, the pad will leave sticky residue on the underside of the tongue, so whether this is something you want to try is up to you. But as @GBR said, it certainly sounds like a fit issue. Good luck.

Thanks.

How did the tongue pads work out for you?

iviustang50h

Reaction score
Thanks.

How did the tongue pads work out for you?
I'll be honest, I only put it in one shoe because only one was slipping, and it worked but did weird me out a bit at first; I'm still bummed we couldn't simply nail down the fit on that particular model, but it's just unavoidable sometimes. I don't necessarily fully support going this route, but it's cheap, was recommended by a knowledgeable Allen Edmonds employee (he actually put the pad in for me) and resolved my issue for the time being.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads