1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Strand vs McAllister (black vs brown)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AdamAdam, Mar 24, 2013.

1. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior member

I think Navy is great with Walnut, a bit more conservative with Bourbon.

Merlot from AE..just too red for me.

Black. Well, I have made it without ever owning a pair of black shoes. Walnut, Cognac, dark browns, Bourbon, tan, oxblood. Never black. There are too many amazing brown shoes out there to own black. Every time I think I might buy black, there is a brown that wins.

2. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I'm at this point now. My current crappy black shoes are old and many say one doesn't need black. What do you wear with say a charcoal or black suit?

3. ylkim30

ylkim30 Well-Known Member

4. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

^Don't wear black suits. If you must, then you are right, you need black shoes. With charcoal, merlot and dark brown look good.

5. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I'm not particularly sure why I have a black suit. Maybe because I thought I needed one for formal but not black tie affairs or a funeral. I do wear my charcoal suit often so I'm thinking those merlot McAllisters that are on the way will be paired up with that one.

6. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior member

I would wear walnut with a black suit, but not in the evening or to a funeral. I guess I would wear something ultra-dark brown. FYI, I do not own a black suit, and wear any brown with Charcoal suits.

Evening wear: Blue velvet loafers?[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  7. squalidozzi

squalidozzi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback all -

I agree that a brown might be too boring. I am definitely going to go walnut McTavish or McAllister as my second shoe purchase... I just don't think I can get away with it at first in my line of work.

Instead of the Strand, though, I've become attracted to these Meermins:

[​IMG]

I think they're more subtle than the strands, probably good for CBD. What do you all think of the color above, is it more conservative than walnut? and how about the Meermin brown vs. the Allen Edmonds brown?

Meermin brown:

[​IMG]

AE brown:

[​IMG]

8. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Where did you find those Meermins? I'm looking at their website and don't see that exact model. The color of those Meermins may be slightly darker than AE walnut but it could also be that it is less decorative so it just seems more conservative. I haven't seen the Meermins in person.

9. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

That first shoe is basically the same color as AE walnut, and marginally more conservative than the Stands, but I still wouldn't call it a consevative shoe.

11. squalidozzi

Could you call it a conservative shoe in one of those two browns?

12. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Yes, I think it is much more consevative (and versatile in dark brown). You can wear it in conservative environments with navy or gray suits with no problem. That walnut color, while nice, is very showy with navy and charcoal. It works better with mid blue or mid to light gray. But a suit in those colors is less convervative than the darker counterparts, so the whole ensemble is ultimately less conservative.

13. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior member

But that plain calf cap toe looks very sleek. Nice. A bit more shape in the last than the AE offerings.

14. squalidozzi

Guys, thank you all for your advice! I recently graduated and will mount a shopping expedition soon.