• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds: Strand versus Dryden

electronicsjunkie

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between the Strand in walnut or the Dryden in brandy (a store near me still has this discontinued model). Primary use would be business casual (wool slacks, no tie); sometimes to be used with a suit; and potentially with jeans on weekends but I'm not sure if either shoe will work that way, so that's not really part of the decision. Suggestions are appreciated.

phillyesq

Reaction score
I have the Strand in chestnut and the Dryden in brandy, and I prefer the Strand. The Strand is probably my favorite AE shoe, and it is perfect in a business/business casual environment. The Dryden looks ok as well, and of the two, it is the one that I'll wear with jeans on occassion, but if I had to pick, I'd go with the Strand, without hesitation.

Storm33

Reaction score
I also have both. I personally wouldn't wear my Drydens with jeans. I typically wear them with business casual attire. The Strands are more flexible between jeans and business casual.

talldesk

Reaction score
Strand. You can't go wrong with it. Sleek and classic.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For suits exclusively: Dryden. More versatile overall: Strand

soxpats

Reaction score
Nothing to think about, get the Strands and you will be very happy.

mdao63

Reaction score
I have both and feel the Strand is more versitile.

bwp

Reaction score
Both are great, I do prefer the dryden. I wear mine all the time with slim/straight jeans, I get compliments everytime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads