Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen edmonds Strand Black or Bourbon

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Biman, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Biman

Biman New Member

Any suggestion black vs bourbon? It will be for buisness and casual.

2. Duke63

Duke63 Senior member

I think walnut is the best color offered for the Strand but if you're stuck between those two colors alone, I'll say bourbon.

3. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Black with dark conservative suits. Dark brown with anything. Bourbon with anything except a dark, conservative suit. Walnut with a light-colored suit, or in a 2008 issue of GQ.

Really, if biz cas is no jacket or tie, then you might want to look at a different style of shoe. I have them in dark brown, but I only wear them when I'm in at least a sportcoat, and more often then not a tie.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

4. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

All of the broguing on those shoes makes them look a bit fancy, so if they're your only pair of shoes, I'd go with black to tone them down a bit. If you already have a good pair of black shoes, then definitely go with bourbon. Bourbon AE's are GREAT.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

5. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

+1!

6. bearback

bearback Member

fancy compared to what? I thought broguing meant more casual? In terms of AE, formality goes from Park Ave > 5th Ave > Strand

Black to tone them down? I thought the formality in color went Black > Dark Brown > Burgundy > Bourbon > Walnut

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

7. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Brown, brogued shoes stand out a bit more, though. There's formality, and there's notability. Having a pair of shoes that disappears under the hem of your suit is a good thing.

It's a balance. My dark brown Strands are my only AEs -- shoes I can wear for something serious, but which are still an elegant choice with a sportcoat. I bought them with confidence -- because I have uninspiring plain black captoes for when I need them. If I didn't have a pair of conservative black shoes, then I might have gone for PAs (even though I'm not a big fan of the PA).

8. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Senior member

Go with the Bourbon, it is my largest selling style in the shop, 2nd is the Strand in Walnut. For a black shoe, look at the Larchmont.