• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds: So many shoes, so few choices

jmatt

Reaction score
I could also have titled this: Allen Edmonds - the casual choice

Before Styleforum, my shoe of choice has been Allen Edmunds for at least 10 years. In the past year I've even bought two new pair. And now I'm out of choices with Allen Edmonds.

Here's what a perusal of their website reveals:

4 shoe lines (Dress, Dress Casual, Casual, and Casual Comfort), 76 different shoes.
(I'll preface my comments by noting that I prefer balmorals when wearing a coat and tie.)

Of the 76 shoes, 33 are in the "Dress" line.

Of the 33 in the "Dress" line, 10 are slip-on with varying levels of formality.

Of the 23 remaining, 8 are bluchers (The MacNeil is admittedly classic, but in a grandfatherly, country church kind of way).

Of the 15 remaining, 7 are either casual or special circumstance shoes:
A spectator, a saddle shoe, a patent leather shoe, a boot, and 3 shoes that seem way too casual: Hampstead, Hastings, and Saxon.

That leaves 8 shoes:
2 are Monks.

That leaves 6 traditional, business appropriate balmorals:

Park Avenue
Add pinking to the cap and call it a Niles
Add some brogueing to the cap and call it the Byron
Make it a full-brogue wing and call it the Chester
A wholecut found in the Westgate
And the Dryden, a plain-toe with medallion.

Am I the only one who can look at 76 shoes and find no choices?

(If nothing else, this post is a reference to currently available AE shoes).

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They seem to make only one monkstrap, the Thayer.
Thayer_large.jpg
But I want one with a plain or cap-toe.

bookish

Reaction score
Mora

Mora_large.jpg

Cap-toe, but it's a double-monk. I do wish they made a single-monkstrap with a plain or cap toe. I also asked one of their salespeople if they might ever come out with a jodhpur boot, but he laughed and said it wasn't likely, and that the double-monk pictured above was a stretch for AE, stylistically.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy another brand....

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Buy another brand....
I do. EG is my two most recent shoe purchases. But I'd gladly buy from AE. They've made me some great shoes, but styling has gone more Ken Cole than I like. Look at the dress shoe choices available from JL or EG, or many of the UK brands. Maybe Americans just need to wear bicycle toe shoes to work and I'm just being stodgy.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like the Allend Edmonds, Nice and solid quality... a little clunkier than the Italian or French shoes I am more used to...

But I have only bought real super deals on ebay.

I've got the Copley plaint toe oxfords in Patent, that I gor for only $65 NIB and the Ritz Patent opera pumps I got for $75 NIB...

I also have a pair of Wartons the have a comando style sole, but unfortunately I didn't noticed it was a 9 B so it is too narrow for my feet I should wear a D.

I'll put them for sale on the forum when I am back from my holidays...

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their styling is nothing like Ken Cole. I see no parellel between fashion forward KC and classic even fogey style AEs. Albeit the choices are more limited than JL or EG. I actually like that EG makes the same shoe on 6 different lasts.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J or Grensons would be at around the same price range, if a little higher but aesthetically-wise much more pleasing to the eye.

The Mora is a good example of AE's classic american stylings. Even with the adventurous double monkstrap, the overall look is still quite clunky and un-elegant.

wgiceman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
out of all the AEs, I do love the

Westgate in Brandy. a unique shoe for casual wear. maybe even dressed up.

and the Hampstead in chili.

oh man, the best AE I have ever seen yet.

this one is actually almost sleek for AE.

The Westgate in Brandy is indeed a very dressy shoe and it looks great. I get numerous compliments whenever I wear it. The Hampstead in chili is my next targeted acquisition. It will be a great dress casual shoe. I also have the Mora in brown, which also gets rave compliments.

I have noticed that shoes on the #8 last appear to be sleeker and more appealing to newer customers. In fact, I am awaiting the newer styles from AE.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmatt

Park Avenue

Aren't these shoes on different lasts?

Yes, you have to be choosey with AE but there are always a few worth cherry picking.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fairfax FTW! That is the only AE I have considered actually spending money on. Thankfully I found that in tan (I think) and its cousin, the Hastings (in black) for $45 IIRC each at a discounter. I just have a thing for wholecuts
blush.gif

Otherwise, I'd say go for a more interesting manufacturer.
I have seen no AEs I'd actually lust after the way I have after some Gravati, Santoni, C&Js, Vass, et.c. As basic utilitarian footwear that are durable and most importantly easy to find at good prices they are a good choice.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have each of those 6 shoes in every colour they make them in, that's a pretty full wardrobe, isn't it? (And if you think it isn't, then you obviously need to branch out on brand.) Plus there's all the discontinued models which are the ones that are often available at discount. Finally, by the time you've acquired all those already discussed, they will have released new models.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Fairfax FTW! That is the only AE I have considered actually spending money on. Thankfully I found that in tan (I think) and its cousin, the Hastings (in black) for $45 IIRC each at a discounter. I just have a thing for wholecuts
blush.gif

Otherwise, I'd say go for a more interesting manufacturer.
I have seen no AEs I'd actually lust after the way I have after some Gravati, Santoni, C&Js, Vass, et.c. As basic utilitarian footwear that are durable and most importantly easy to find at good prices they are a good choice.

I'm definitely with you on this. I have every color of both the Fairfax and Hastings.

rick lombardo

Reaction score
I am with you. I can't believe all the hoopla surrounding AE.
Pedestrian in their styling at worst and at best a good shoe for the money.
We don't buy shoes becaus they are a good value. They must speak to us, must instill a sense of awe and wonderment. We want to see the shoe and wonder how a craftman can get get it so "right"

I love this forum and AAAC, but the continious love affair with AE is beyond me.

More forumites talking about Santoni and Vass....less AE.

IMHO of course

Originally Posted by jmatt
I could also have titled this: Allen Edmonds - the casual choice

Before Styleforum, my shoe of choice has been Allen Edmunds for at least 10 years. In the past year I've even bought two new pair. And now I'm out of choices with Allen Edmonds.

Here's what a perusal of their website reveals:

4 shoe lines (Dress, Dress Casual, Casual, and Casual Comfort), 76 different shoes.
(I'll preface my comments by noting that I prefer balmorals when wearing a coat and tie.)

Of the 76 shoes, 33 are in the "Dress" line.

Of the 33 in the "Dress" line, 10 are slip-on with varying levels of formality.

Of the 23 remaining, 8 are bluchers (The MacNeil is admittedly classic, but in a grandfatherly, country church kind of way).

Of the 15 remaining, 7 are either casual or special circumstance shoes:
A spectator, a saddle shoe, a patent leather shoe, a boot, and 3 shoes that seem way too casual: Hampstead, Hastings, and Saxon.

That leaves 8 shoes:
2 are Monks.

That leaves 6 traditional, business appropriate balmorals:

Park Avenue
A wholecut found in the Westgate
And the Dryden, a plain-toe with medallion.

Am I the only one who can look at 76 shoes and find no choices?

(If nothing else, this post is a reference to currently available AE shoes).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics