• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Sizing

arensin

Reaction score
Please help. I am looking for a nice, light brown shoe from Allen Edmonds for a semi casual wedding.

I have somewhat wide feet at the toes.

I wear a 10.5 D in the Higgins boot. And this fits very well. Maybe a tad tight, but very well.

Was looking at the 5th Avenue, but I realize that each last fits differently.

What size do you suggest?

paxonus

Reaction score
It is easy to get obsessed about the fit of shoes. If the D width is a tad tight, get an E. I have 7 pair of AE's all different lasts, all in a 9E. They all fit fine. Of course, others will go to great lengths to compare the differing fit of different lasts. My take is that any shoemaker that makes all their lasts in different widths will make every effort to make their sizing the same across all the lasts. The alternative taken by other shoemakers is to make every shoe in the same width, but make some lasts that are roomier and will accommodate a wider foot.

unsuitable

Reaction score
I would begin with a 5th in 10.5 E or 11 D. If you have an AE Store nearby its worth a stop to get sized.

My logic: I wear a 12.5 D in most all AE "5" series lasts. But the Higgins fits me in a 12 D. So I think that the Higgins Mill runs a bit large.

johng70

Reaction score
I would definitely say E. All my 5 last shoes are "E" where my other lasts for AE are "D" (all 9.5 though). No way was a 5 last shoe in "D" comfortable on me. and "E" is too wide for some. And, I'm a perfect "D" on the brannock - but certain shoes just fit me better in "E" and certain ones fit better in "D". So, my experience is the complete opposite of paxonus. Not saying I'm right and he's wrong. Just that people differ. What works for one person doesn't work for others.
My usual advice is - get to a retail store and try on shoes from the last you're interested in. Even if you buy online - it's a gamble to buy high quality dress shoes sight unseen. Boots and such are easier - the toe boxes are usually larger. And, same is true for lesser shoes where there isn't really any difference in the lasts.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.