Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds shoes at $150?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieselman89, Dec 27, 2010.

1. katiedaddy

katiedaddy Senior member

I see them for $150 at Nordstrom rack all the time, marked down from $300 but my understanding is they have different lines that are more expensive I guess?

2. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

how can you tell if the shoes are firsts or seconds?
    are they marked somehow?

You're not supposed to be able to buy seconds through normal retail channels if I'm not mistaken.
    You can find them at outlet stores, B&S, and ebay.
    The likelihood of the seller admitting to their being seconds diminishes in the same order.

Boxes of seconds are usually marked as such, soles are supposed to be marked as well (?).
    I wouldn't worry too much about the classification, but rather the actual flaw. I've seen some
    'firsts' I wouldn't want to buy even as seconds.

3. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

It's possible to get firsts at that price. I got a pair of AE firsts (Lambert - a simple classic blucher) from a shoes.com sale about a year and a half ago. $130 nib. [​IMG]

4. stefifofum

stefifofum New Member

I just got a pair of the chesnut Park Ridges on sale at Nordstroms and can confirm, these are not on-your-feet shoes. I love them, and will be wearing them every chance I get, off work, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a pair of more comfortable chestnut-colored beaters to wear to my on-my-feet job. Maybe when they're a bit more worn in, it would be tolerable, but standing for eight hours in new ones was not pleasant. I was just too eager to wear them!

5. apesNapes

apesNapes Member

AE also makes an orthotic line -- I recently ordered a pair of AE Parliaments that have been good so far:

[​IMG]

Also, what the hell is a formal business casual environment?

i like those, thanks. sometimes people on here will suggest chinos and polos, etc. when talking business casual... so not that.

6. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

i like those, thanks. sometimes people on here will suggest chinos and polos, etc. when talking business casual... so not that.

Well, those can dress up an outfit either way.

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

nevermind actually.

8. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

I've seen AEs for around $150 at Nordstrom Rack in Paramus, NJ.

I've seen the glory.

9. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

I just got a pair of the chesnut Park Ridges on sale at Nordstroms and can confirm, these are not on-your-feet shoes. I love them, and will be wearing them every chance I get, off work, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a pair of more comfortable chestnut-colored beaters to wear to my on-my-feet job. Maybe when they're a bit more worn in, it would be tolerable, but standing for eight hours in new ones was not pleasant. I was just too eager to wear them!

Thanks, my concern was several shoes I saw on sale were also not on your feet shoes. Meaning they are great for dress occasions but cannot be worn long-term.

10. skrimp

skrimp Member

There are a lot of AEs for around 100 at my local Nordstrom Rack. Are these a cheaper department store line or something? The two models I remember look like the Winnetka & Kendall on AEs website.

11. DGstyles

DGstyles Senior member

Not to resurrect an old thread, but my local Rack just got in a number of AEs - Strands in Walnut, McLains, Bel Airs, a few slipons (one "Made in Italy" model, can't remember the name). I recently bought a pair of black Strands from AllAboutShoes, and noticed that the insoles were not black like mine from AllAboutShoes, but a natural brown/cork colour. Also, on the Strands in Walnut, there were noticeable "defects" in coloration - dark/black swipes along the lower portion of the shoes near the welt/bottom of the leather (definitely not worn - no creased leather or marks on sole). This really made me wonder if these were seconds. Any thoughts?

12. ArsenalDan

ArsenalDan Senior member

How much were the Strands going for?

13. thebac

thebac Senior member

Allen Edmonds went from the tan/natural color insoles to black insoles back to tan/natural color insoles. The color of the insole has nothing to do with whether the shoes were seconds or not.

The small defects, on the other hand, might be a strong indication that they were seconds (but they could also be firsts that slipped through and were returned).

Not to resurrect an old thread, but my local Rack just got in a number of AEs - Strands in Walnut, McLains, Bel Airs, a few slipons (one "Made in Italy" model, can't remember the name). I recently bought a pair of black Strands from AllAboutShoes, and noticed that the insoles were not black like mine from AllAboutShoes, but a natural brown/cork colour. Also, on the Strands in Walnut, there were noticeable "defects" in coloration - dark/black swipes along the lower portion of the shoes near the welt/bottom of the leather (definitely not worn - no creased leather or marks on sole). This really made me wonder if these were seconds. Any thoughts?

14. DGstyles

DGstyles Senior member

How much were the Strands going for?

$174.99 for the Strands, $119.99 for the Italian slip ons.

15. gotlighters

gotlighters Senior member

^ where did you see the sale?