• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Shell cordovan shoe cream

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has been using this polish,got my first pair of cordovans and decided to polish them before I start to wear but allen edmonds shoe polish feels like glue,I couldn't buff the shoe after I applied the cream,it becamse very sticky just like glue.I had to apply another coat of conditioner to clean all the mess up.
Has anyone had the same experience?What other polishes do you use for burgundy cordovans?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a good question. I've often wondered just what the differences were, if any, between the bottled stuff earmarked specifically for shell cordovan (Alden has it too) and regular burgundy shoe polish (the stuff in flat cans). Anyone want to make a call to Horween and see what they say about all this?

billiebob

Reaction score
I use the allen edmonds cordovan shoe cream/polish on all my burgundy cordovan shoes. Never had a glue problem. Just apply a very thin film with a make-up remover pad, let it dry a few minutes, then brush to shine. Polish every few months and brush after ever wear and they will gleam.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
According to Alden of Carmel Alden recommends paste wax. I know that mcarthur at AAAC--owner of large amounts of Alden shell--uses and recommends Kiwi Cordovan wax, but only sparingly and occasionally.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
According to Alden of Carmel Alden recommends paste wax. I know that mcarthur at AAAC--owner of large amounts of Alden shell--uses and recommends Kiwi Cordovan wax, but only sparingly and occasionally.
I only use wax sparingly and rarely on all of my shells. I wax only after about every 15 wearings per McArthur's method.

Prior to making an acquaintenance with Alden of Carmel and AAAC I actually used the cordovan cream from AE. I no longer do so. My shells look amazingly better following McArthur's method with wax.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I only use wax sparingly and rarely on all of my shells. I wax only after about every 15 wearings per McArthur's method.

Prior to making an acquaintenance with Alden of Carmel and AAAC I actually used the cordovan cream from AE. I no longer do so. My shells look amazingly better following McArthur's method with wax.

I'll probably give it a try as well,I am planning to get couple more pairs of cordovans and not really happy with AE shell polish.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saphir. The color I use is IIRC Mahogany- it's a dark red. Just a little and not very often.
Works great.- Better shine than Kiwi.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kiwi uses the term "cordovan," however, to designate a color, not a kind of leather. My question is whether there are different ingredients in paste wax designed for calfskin than for shell cordovan.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Kiwi uses the term "cordovan," however, to designate a color, not a kind of leather. My question is whether there are different ingredients in paste wax designed for calfskin than for shell cordovan.

No. Wax and a vehicle like terps or mineral spirits. there is no "special" formulation for shell leathers

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
No. Wax and a vehicle like terps or mineral spirits. there is no "special" formulation for shell leathers
Interesting, yachtie; I've suspected as much, but have wondered why Alden, for example, label their wax as for shell cordovan.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Interesting, yachtie; I've suspected as much, but have wondered why Alden, for example, label their wax as for shell cordovan.

The Alden wax I've seen just says #8- Cordovan ( but it's an old container). I was assuming it was just the color, not a recommendation for application. In any event, there's nothing special about it.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Yes, it is just the color, but it's 'cordovan' color. The point above was that Alden of Carmel (and apparently Alden itself) simply suggests using regular wax.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is just the color, but it's 'cordovan' color. The point above was that Alden of Carmel (and apparently Alden itself) simply suggests using regular wax.
Well, I haven't seen any suggestions from Alden that owners of shell cordovan use "regular" wax. Instead, they suggest their own product--noted by yachtie--a wax in a jar labeled #8 Cordovan. This has always suggested to me that they are proposing this product for shell cordovan, as they (Alden) don't use the term "cordovan" to indicate a color, just the leather. They refer to their calfskin shoes in "cordovan" color, for example, as "burgundy."

Similarly, Allen-Edmonds markets a product specifically for shell cordovan leather (possibly the product mentioned in the OP). Here's their blurb on shoe care for shell cordovan:

"Polish occasionally using Allen-Edmonds cordovan care cream to maintain a rich color. From time to time, use a black polish to enhance the look of the leather."(bold italics mine.)

Again, what are the ingredients in this product that suit it specifically for shell cordovan?

As I noted earlier, I'd be interested in Horween's take on all this....
smile.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wax only for shell cordovan. Do not use cream.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shell absorbs so little color that you could probably wax it with anything and the color wouldn't appreciably change.

I think it's marketing hype re: the AE product.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads