• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Seconds - Salvagable?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently picked up a pair of AE 5th Ave in Dark Chili Burnished. First let me say that the leather is very supple and the shoes fit nicely. The leather seems more supple than my Park Ave's in Merlot, for instance. However, the reason that these were seconds was quite obvious when I pulled them from the box. Both shoes have some burnishing issues and I am wondering if you fine gentlemen would keep them or send them back. For what it's worth, I do have several colors of Saphir shoe cream and wax at my disposal but I have never attempted a color correction/change that would likely be needed in this case and not sure of the best way to proceed (if at all).

Also, just a quick disclaimer, these were taken in the afternoon in not superb light and I took some with and some without flash. I also did some quick lightroom image corrections to try to show some of the main issues. Basically, the burnishing on the toes is kind of uneven, if not streaky-ish or blotchy if you look closely. They are also a bit different from each other and a bit greyish rather than a richer color. My guess is that this could help improved by darkening up the toes area a bit and using a color to make it a bit more rich (not sure what color). The bigger concern is that there are some dark burnishing lines (I think) visible on the top of the vamp below the bottom laces. There is also some of this on the side of one of the shoes, although it isn't as noticeable.

thoughts?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polish and wear, wear and polish. The color should even out after a while, and it'll turn into patina. If you're really worried, take it to a local shoe guy and have him even out the color.

RTflux

Reaction score
I would keep them simply because they are seconds so expectations should not be as high. I do not think they are that bad.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I am certainly considering keeping them! I quite like the shoes, really. That said, any tips on how to adjust the color a bit to address the burnishing issues? I believe I have the materials to work on them but I am not the best with adventurous color type work. I do have several Saphir shoe creams and shoe waxes to use I just don't have the experience to know how best to adjust the color to hide the defects.

Off the top of my head, I have a medium brown, dark brown, mahogany, bordeaux, and black... I find the Bordeaux to be a reasonably close match to my Merlot PAs, if that is a good frame of reference.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they look reasonable good for seconds to me.

but if they bother you, by all means. return them.

RitchieBro

Reaction score

Hello, I recently picked up a pair of AE 5th Ave in Dark Chili Burnished. First let me say that the leather is very supple and the shoes fit nicely. The leather seems more supple than my Park Ave's in Merlot, for instance. However, the reason that these were seconds was quite obvious when I pulled them from the box. Both shoes have some burnishing issues and I am wondering if you fine gentlemen would keep them or send them back. For what it's worth, I do have several colors of Saphir shoe cream and wax at my disposal but I have never attempted a color correction/change that would likely be needed in this case and not sure of the best way to proceed (if at all). Also, just a quick disclaimer, these were taken in the afternoon in not superb light and I took some with and some without flash. I also did some quick lightroom image corrections to try to show some of the main issues. Basically, the burnishing on the toes is kind of uneven, if not streaky-ish or blotchy if you look closely. They are also a bit different from each other and a bit greyish rather than a richer color. My guess is that this could help improved by darkening up the toes area a bit and using a color to make it a bit more rich (not sure what color). The bigger concern is that there are some dark burnishing lines (I think) visible on the top of the vamp below the bottom laces. There is also some of this on the side of one of the shoes, although it isn't as noticeable. thoughts?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with those.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
didnt realize it was an old thread lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 66 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 31 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads