• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Seconds Quality

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought to keep my own counsel on this but I must observe that

1) Allen Edmond is a factory shoe. Just by virtue of being made in a factory, some techniques and materials will pass muster that would not be considered on a top tier, bench-made shoe.

2) These are factory seconds.

3) One has to wonder how bad any flaws...especially unseen flaws...would have to be to make the factory label them "seconds."

Just a thought....

sm332

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greyinla
Good advice above, particularly to buy from an AE factory store or their ebay shop.

Most seconds have hard-to-notice flaws. But I have seen quite a few that were dodgy--mismatched color, uneven burnishing, fading, cuts in the leather, etc. Buying direct from AE (or at the very least a reseller with a hassle free return policy) protects you just in case you do get that odd second with a flaw you can't live with.

as the recent recipient of a cpl of Soho's (cognac and saddle brown) - I would have to agree that you can get quite obviously second shoes. But given the price I paid - I am not complaining but will be returning given the very conspicuous issues.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TonyT
Hello again SF. I've done a thorough search on SF and Google to compare the quality of first and seconds of Allen Edmonds but came up short. I was wondering if there is a noticeable difference and if so, which areas (comfort, leather quality, appearance, etc.)? Thanks again for any replies. I just received the list from Jerry at AE for the Discontinued and 2nds/Closeout list and I am excited to buy my first pairs of AE, particularly the Byrons in Chili and the Fifth Avenue in Burnished Brown. Suggestions? Comments?

let's put it another way..

AE firsts are only as good as their 2nds.
facepalm.gif

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
You can find discontinued AE firsts for great deals at Nordstrom Rack ($150 to $225). The one in Paramus, NJ has a load of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads