• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds (Seconds) - Cracked welt, is this resolable still?

jexbrah

Reaction score
Question as my AE fifth avenues are starting to get some wear and I'm thinking of resoling it some time in the future, I started to think about this particular area where it looks like the stitching was loose and the welt area has cracked. Is this still resoleable with the cracked welt? I never thought too much of this defect until now so wanted some opinions.

By the way, I've worn these for about 7/8 months 2-3x a week and noticed there has been some separation of the heel. Is this just normal wear?

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is unusual wear but could be attributed to vario0uis things including your feet/gait!

It is capable of repair if you have afull 'though' repair which would see that replaced. You would need to find a GOOD cobbler else send it back to the original manufacturer if such a service is available.

This said, the manufacturer may simply have a local cobbler in tow. It will not be cheap.

sdfzs

Reaction score
I have had AE heels coming of and they have taken care of that without any issue. I'd suggest reaching out to AE to get their view and if you consider a resole sending them back for a recraft instead of taking them to the local cobbler.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just passing by...

Neither of these issues are particularly world-shaking or significant. The welt is not cracked. It is a strip of leather. If it runs entirely around the shoe, one end has to join with the other end somewhere. This is where. It is not particularly finessed or well done but it is a join...not a crack.

An alternative scenario is that what looks like welt around the heel is really just a heel seat but again what you are seeing is just where the end of the welt meets the heel seat.

Nothing to prevent the shoe from being resoled or, for that matter, from having that join refined and made all but invisible in the process.

As for the heel, nothing unusual there, either. There is a fairly good chance that the heels stack is paperboard in part or entirely. Even if it is leather or leatherboard, shoes such as these are put together pretty quickly...a minimum of glue or cement and nails way in towards the center of the stack--nothing to hold the edges of the block, IOW.

All of this should be expected at this price point and none of it worth obsessing about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads