1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen-Edmonds Park Avenue for both casual and dress?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jjw, Feb 17, 2007.

1. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I work as a consultant in an environment where a jacket and/or tie denotes a status that is reserved for upper management, and therefore it would be inappropriate (read: it would alienate the clients I work with day to day) to wear them. I am slightly unfamiliar with the word "broguing". I just purchased some byrons (cap toe w/ perf on the cap). Does that qualify? I was 50/50 on whether or not they would be appropriate w/ shirt and trousers but I am pretty confident they'll work well.

[​IMG]

I have the Byron in chili that you show. I reserve my balmorals--A-E Park Avenues (2) and Byrons (3)--strictly for wear with suits, which I wear infrequently. However, chili is a less "formal" shoe color than some others, so you could probably get away with wearing the Byrons with an odd jacket. Wearing them with a shirt and trousers would seem to present a sartorial incongruity. However, the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of people you meet and deal with are going to be quite oblivious to such sartorial niceties.

2. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

It's almost in the borderline spectrum of choices, but it could work because it's not a black or even a dark brown balmoral. Note that some people on this forum would wear something like the Byron with jeans (and some would cringe at the thought).

3. jml90

jml90 Senior member

The point is that the jacket is missing, not where it is missing. The look doesn't work any better at a restaurant than at a business-casual office.

First I'd have to play you a little Chopin.

I'll be your Huckleberry
    (Sorry couldn't resist)

Anyway for bussiness casual something like the Mora would be able to go from suit to casual, I think. But, I wear bals without a suit and mirror shine my brown shoes.

4. Jared

Jared Senior member

I think monkstraps and chelsea boots have the largest formality range.

5. jml90

jml90 Senior member

I think monkstraps and chelsea boots have the largest formality range.
    OH YES! How could I forget chelseas? I love them get the Taunton! In black and brown and you'll be golden.

6. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I would advise against wearing black or dark brown oxfords with khakis, however, brown captoe monkstraps or pebble grain captoe derbies can both work with business casual and denim.

For flexibility, Ive recently developed a taste for semi-brogue oxfords with medallions in lighter browns/burgundy.

7. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

I applaud your choice of AE, but the Park Avenue is not a shoe that works for every situation. How about two pairs of shoes? Maybe the Park Avenue and a brown blucher?

AE is having a great sale at its outlet stores right now and two pairs can be had for the price of one pair at regular price.

8. jjw

jjw New Member

Thanks everyone for the awesome and helpful advice!

jjw -
    Another important thing to bear in mind is that, living here in Phoenix, do not pay full-price for Allen Edmond's shoes. Go to Last Chance at Camelback and 20th Street and you can buy AE's for $49.99 a pair.

Thanks for the tip! I ran by there (it's kinda crazy in there [​IMG] ) and found several almost new AE shoes, but none were in my size unfortunately. Do you know how often they get new stuff in? How about any other hidden gems like this store in the Phoenix area (for anything... shoes/clothes/etc)?

AE is having a great sale at its outlet stores right now and two pairs can be had for the price of one pair at regular price.

Is there a way to lookup the location of the outlet stores? I can't seem to find a list on the AE website.

9. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

There are only two or three. Jeffersonville, OH (betw. Cinti and C-bus on 71) and Burlington, NC are the only ones listed on the AE Store Locator. I thought there was at least one in Wisco, but I don't see one listed.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...Id=40000000001

10. meister

meister Senior member

I have a high arch but no problem fitting Euro or English shoes size 44.

Today I tried on a Park Avenue 10.5EEE which fitted but was loose a bit not snug for instance.

Then I tried a 10.5E which would not close at the laces and gapped. Then I tried an 11E and it fitted but still gapping at the laces more than the official 10mm.

What is my true AE size? Any advice?

Alden has E, EE and 3xE.

11. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I have a high arch but no problem fitting Euro or English shoes size 44.

Today I tried on a Park Avenue 10.5EEE which fitted but was loose a bit not snug for instance.

Then I tried a 10.5E which would not close at the laces and gapped. Then I tried an 11E and it fitted but still gapping at the laces more than the official 10mm.

What is my true AE size? Any advice?

i think the problem is the last, not the size. the five last which the park avenue is built upon is a last suited for low insteps, and your high arches probably mean you have a high instep. try a shoe on a different last. or see if you can find a 10.5EE. but i think you need a shoe built on a last with a higher instep.

12. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Thanks everyone for the awesome and helpful advice!

Thanks for the tip! I ran by there (it's kinda crazy in there [​IMG] ) and found several almost new AE shoes, but none were in my size unfortunately. Do you know how often they get new stuff in? How about any other hidden gems like this store in the Phoenix area (for anything... shoes/clothes/etc)?

Last Chance gets new stuff weekly - on Wednesday's I believe, so it's worth checking back on a regular basis. And yes, it's always crazy - but worth it for the prices.

Well Suited is a resale store with two locations, Camelback and 20th Street (SE corner) and Scottsdale and Lincoln (SW corner behind Black Angus) - they get a lot of upscale resale clothing and you can take stuff you no longer want and get cash or credit for use in the store.

As-Is Department Store Outlet (or it may be called Final Chance now) is on Scottsdale Rd about a mile North of the 202 on the West side behind Burger King. They always have a ton of Aeropostale and often Ralph Lauren stuff for really low prices... (like $10 a shirt)... it's not as upscale as Last Chance or Well Suited though.

Buffalo Exchange has several locations around the valley, but they are more streetwear.

13. meister

meister Senior member

Thanks for that Novaguy.

Are the Broadstreets style a more likely fit for yours truly by accomodating me in an 11E say? ie Being a wider or more suitable last for me?