• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Park Avenue and McAllister quality check

hmdsons

Reaction score
Hello,

After deciding to finally invest in higher quality dress shoes, I purchased three pairs of Allen Edmonds from Nordstrom at 25% off: Black PA, Brown Burnished Strand and Bourbon McAllister. I wear suits four days a week and figured these balmorals would be a good start.

Since these are my first relatively expensive shoes, I'm not sure how critical I should be. To date I have received the Park Avenue and McAllister.

On the Park Avenue, the right shoe cap toe seems to be stitched a bit higher and on a slight angle. You can't tell too much from the top or with the inner sides facing up, but you can see a larger difference when the outer facing sides are facing up.

I love the bourbon color of the McAllister, however, the broguing seems a bit off. It is especially off in the picture of the left shoe right side by the top.

Below is an imgur link to 7 pics. The first 3 pics are of the park avenue: top view, inner sides facing up and outer sides facing up. The next 4 are of the mcallister, left shoe right side, left shoe left side, right shoe left side, right shoe right side.

http://imgur.com/a/e1Go9

Am I being overly critical? Or should I expect hand crafted shoes to have these imperfections. Would you exchange either or both of these pairs?

Thanks,

The Hunter

Reaction score
They look fine to me but if it bugs you swap them out. Just know that every pair is going to have its own character.

facet

Reaction score
Agreed, nobody will notice the PA caps being off (and when will the outsides ever be lined up like in the pics IRL, right?) and the same with the broguing; people will be spending too much time noticing things like the colour, wingtip/captoe design etc. They're nice shoes, just wear and enjoy them.

hmdsons

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their feedback. I received the last pair I ordered and I will exchange them due to the following quality issues at an AE retail store in NYC. http://imgur.com/a/1LIeW

I'll keep the mcallister and only exchange the PA if there is a readily available better PA in the store. happy holidays.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads