• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Park Ave with Navy Suit?

h4zin

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110262843096

Quick question: I won the bid for this pair of AE Park Ave's after everyone raving about them on this forum ($122... not too bad a price?) and after trying them on at the store to make sure the size was right. Just to make sure, are these shoes good to wear with a navy blue suit? I will be interviewing for finance internships this winter and want to make sure I am dressed for success. I'm not sure if black shoes or dark brown like these would be best to wear with a navy suit.

Thanks a lot

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
If any interviewer gives a thumbs up/thumbs down based on shoe color, I don't want the job.

(Unless it pays a whole bunch)

That said, I believe the general consensus for finance/law interviews is wear black shoes and belt.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those will go great with your navy suit and IMO and worth the price paid.

cvac

Reaction score
The shoes will look good.

The only problem is that you absolutely should not wear brown shoes to any interview, and especially not an interview in finance. You need a pair of BLACK shoes and a BLACK leather belt.

Look for the discontinued AE Byron or AE Niles in black. You should be able to get at least one of those from the Shoe Bank in your size for a good price - about what you paid for your brown shoes.

Get this book. It will explain how to dress conservatively for interviews and such.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Molloys-N...4281971&sr=8-1

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
The only problem is that you absolutely should not wear brown shoes to any interview, and especially not an interview in finance. You need a pair of BLACK shoes and a BLACK leather belt.

Wow.

For the record, I got the internship I'm doing this summer with a big finance (asset management) outfit wearing suede chelseas (the same pair worn here) to at least one of the interviews. Okay, it's not their HQ, and thus not on Wall Street, but you get the idea.

I'm guessing when I'm looking for a job in the near future, in the remote chance that you are one of the interviewers, well, tough luck.
frown.gif

cvac

Reaction score
The problem is you never know just who you're dealing with an interview.

Maybe your interviewer likes suede shoes a lot, or maybe they are just really excited to hire someone from your school, or maybe they would hire you if you showed up in a gold lame suit or whatever. That's not the point.

The point is, to err on the side of caution. For just about any professional job setting that means showing up to the interview in black shoes.

Originally Posted by whacked
Wow.

For the record, I got the internship I'm doing this summer with a big finance (asset management) outfit wearing suede chelseas (the same pair worn here) to at least one of the interviews. Okay, it's not their HQ, and thus not on Wall Street, but you get the idea.

I'm guessing when I'm looking for a job in the near future, in the remote chance that you are one of the interviewers, well, tough luck.
frown.gif

Shraka

Reaction score
Really? Black shoes with a navy suit? I never thought black and navy went well together. I thought it was one of those things you were never to do?

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
I believe the general consensus for finance/law interviews is wear black shoes and belt.

The problem is you never know just who you're dealing with an interview.
The point is, to err on the side of caution. For just about any professional job setting that means showing up to the interview in black shoes.

I personally think dark brown shoes look very stylish with a navy suit. ...and dark brown shoes look maybe even more stylish with a gray suit. Your AE shoes are great, and can give you years of good use.

Regarding black shoes, I think you have to know your audience. Black gives the image of formality, and gravity. It also looks more military to me.

As a musician, I have been able to perform at exclusive parties, attended by top corporate executives from various countries. I have never seen a CEO with brown shoes. I can't recall seeing any politicians wearing brown shoes with a suit recently.

My friends from England cannot even imagine ever wearing brown shoes with a suit (except for suede shoes on weekends, but they gotta be suede.)

My musician friends who play at weddings and other formal events have a really difficult time with brown shoes as well, even in a casual context.

Maybe brown shoes give off a more relaxed image, or maybe it makes a person appear a little less hard-working and more concerned with style.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Really? Black shoes with a navy suit? I never thought black and navy went well together. I thought it was one of those things you were never to do?
Not never, by any means, it just doesn't look as good as brown in most peoples' opinions. And don't worry about the black thing for the interview. You're wearing PAs; I would bet a reasonably large sum that in doing so, you'll have nicer shoes on your feet than 95% of the other applicants.

For the record, I'm going to be interviewing at downtown law firms in september, and fully intend to wear brown shoes, including semibrogues, to some of them (black PAs to others) depending on my mood and suit.

Financier

Reaction score
I work in finance, and will seconnd the opinion that black is best for interviews. When a guy interviews with me, I'll notice if his outfit is well put together, but like most people on this forum, I'm a clothes horse so I notice such things. Don't take that mindset and apply it to the average executive who doesn't care much about clothes. Black shoes area more serious, formal look. When interviewing in a conservative industry, err on the side of caution. First impressions count, so you want to be conservatively dressed. Very likely that it won't matter, but why take the chance that it does?

Outside of interviews, I'd prefer dark brown with a navy suit. Black looks fine as well, although all the forumites will tell you how unsophisticated it is.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shoes are 100% correct for professional interviews.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yesterday I saw a Senator in a solid navy suit and merlot PAs. Looked good, too. No pocket square though.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shraka

I was under a similar impression as well... so a question about wearing black shoes+belt with navy, are there certain navy shades that this does/doesn't work for? eg royal blue, midnight blue, etc.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase.

I have PA's in both brown and black and both pairs look great with a navy suit.

I think you'd be fine wearing these to an interview. As long as they're highly polished and you look professional, the choice of shoe is not going to have an impact. It's how you come across and what you say that will determine if you get the internship.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by h4zin
I will be interviewing for finance internships this winter and want to make sure I am dressed for success.
I would definitely buy another (3-4) pair of shoes before winter. Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads