Allen Edmonds: Official Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fanthom, Jan 16, 2003.

1. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I believe Allen Edmonds has/had a factory, or a contract with a factory, in Maine that produced a number of their non-Goodyear welted loafers - I believe your shoe is one of those, designed to be something similar to the Bass Weejun.

You're probably responding to the fact that it is not welted. The welted shoes are definitely sturdier.

2. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

The 'Enfield' was discontinued quite a few years ago. It was the basic penny when The Maine Handsewing Company was producing the handsewns for A/E. As well as just about every good handsewn from America including Alden, FootJoy, etc. Eventually, Allen Edmonds bought the plant and renamed it as such. I believe they still produce some shoes for FootJoy, but not certain.

As handsewn shoes, they are a whole different animal than what is produced in Wisconsin, which are welted shoes - intentionally so. They are not marketed as such, nor do they cost the same. However, they are very good handsewns. Also, they are not Blake shoes - the upper is assembled, a midsole is attached by one row of stitches to the upper and the outsole is attached to the midsole by a seperate row of stitches. Since this model is long gone from the line, I would suspect that it has seen it's share of stores before ending up at an off-price retailer in Canada. Maybe this is reflected in what you see? Besides that possibility, the shoes are generally regarded as being a good value.

3. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

A few years ago, AE bought a companies factory in Virginia ( I believe it was) called Ansewn, a small but powereful company in the handsewn business. In this purchase, they were able to get rid of the quality control problems they were having, as well as the inventory availability shortages and better control how their shoes were being made. A superb purchase for them, they now have a more readily avaiable handsewn line, with more styles and color options that better trend to the welted lines.

4. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Ansewn was in NE, and they went out of business. Allen Edmonds bought The Maine Handsewing Company, and now, this is where the handsewns that bear their trademark are produced. Nice factory, the last one standing now that Sebago is outsourcing.

5. nightowl6261a

Actually Sebago was bought by the Wolverine Company in Feb of this year, all of their production is now going to be in Puerto Ric and China, which is very sad, we just sat down and looked at the new lines, and Sebago has been created into a company under the Merrell name as the new handsewn line for them, and they are absolutely going to ruin the good name of Sebago in what they are doing to the styles.

6. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Ashame, isn't it? They were some of the best value handsewns going. John (unfortunately, I forget his last name) came by our shop last year, just after we opened, to say hello. He was the guy that went around doing the demonstrations of the handsewing - real nice guy. I had stopped buying the shoes some years before, but we remained friendly. Anyway, he came in a told me about the pending sale, and explained that he did not feel all that bad himself, as just about all the workers doing the handsewing were near/at retirement age and they had not been able to find people interested in this kind of work. WWW did provide a good package, apparently.

7. nightowl6261a

Are you thinking of John Brix, he was a great man as the head of Sebago, and the mix with Merrell and WWW sucks, they can not get their inventory down, never have shoes, etc....I do not know if you knew this, but Red Wing was also trying to buy them, I did a survey about the buyout on 2 occassions, and it seemed the general consensus was the same, please do not let WWW buy them, it would have been so much better had Red Wing, they were going to keep production in the states.

8. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

Thanks for the info guys.  I'll keep the shoes.

Interestingly, the store had other shoes which look almost identical and are presumably from the same factory.  The brands they were under were Fairmount (or Fairmont?) and Grenson for Paul Stuart (yep, made in USA).
    For those in the GTA who are interested, they're at the Winners at Yonge and 7.

9. nightowl6261a

I am so hard to believe a Grenson made in the US, they have no factories in the US to my knowledge, anyone sure about this? History of Grenson (Green and Son) hence Grenson Grenson History

10. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

I wouldn't have believed it myself unless I saw it with my own eyes, but that's exactly what I saw. Someone go buy those shoes and post pics. [​IMG]

11. Ed13

Ed13 Senior member

I saw the same shoes at Hwy 7 and I believe they were "Designed by Edward Green for Paul Stuart". They were made in the US. Only $72 and a size 8 if I remember correctly.

12. nightowl6261a

That would make sense.

13. oldskool

oldskool Senior member

I buy Allen Edmonds for the most part because they have wide sizes. Anyone else with this issuse?

Thoughts on Allen Edmonds?

14. Tom

Tom Senior member

I wear Allen Edmonds 9.5 EEE. They fit pretty well, but they taper too fast after the metatarsal heads. The Alden EEEEs that I tried didn't even come close. Eventually, I am just going to have a pair of bespoke made.

-Tom

15. minimal

minimal Senior member

I wear a 12EEE in AE. I have feet that are wide at the ball, just on their own and due to "bunions" [though I don't actually have bunions, just the distended metatarsal that usually results in them.]. In any case, it means my feet are about EEE at the ball, and E behind the arch. I buy AE only because they fit me (and not that well I might add.). Their lasts tend to be very boxy: no "waist" in the shoes as far as I can tell. But given my very-limited options, I'm quite happy they sell the extended sizes. I know Alden also sells widths. But it's near impossible to try on the ones you want: no dealers have them. And I won't special-order something unless I *know* it's going to fit. One other nice thing about AE: you can customize your shoes by ordering them in any of their materials, and when you do you can choose to make other changes as well. For example, here are my AE Bradley's in Black Cordovan (a color they didn't use when I ordered them) with a double sole and reverse welt (they are usually singles without the reverse): split-toe thread on styleFORVM But, in general it *sucks* having wide feet: almost no nice shoes out there at all. C&J have a few shoes in a G width, not their more fashionable "handgrade" line, though there is one nice chukka (the chepstow). If anyone has these please speak up. I add that on this forum the user "rider", who has a shop affiliation, can provide some *very* nice shoes in wider widths. He has said that the Borgioli shoes on his shop page (see the next link for the "Frano's web site" link in the first post) can be gotten extra-wide and is looking into the possibility of these Marteganis in widths: Martegani thread, ditto One can always go bespoke, but at $2500 minimum, this seems like a ways off for me. So, in closing, if you have wide feet but beautiful shoes, for our sake please tell about them.