• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds: Official Thread

klint

Reaction score
Subject: Are my AE soles ruined?

TLDR: Crackpot cobler in Germany glued half-soles onto my AEs instead of a full re-sole. Is this something AE can eventually fix?

Back story: I have been living in Germany about a year now and needed to have my McCallisters re-soled. Found a cobbler who I thought would do me good on the resole, I even talked to him about whether the cork needed replacing. He deceptively looked at inside of the shoe (presumably to see whether it was a blake stictch), further instilling my confidence in him, and we verbally agreed on new soles and heels. Price was 46€ which, in restrospect, was on the cheap side. I have sent other pairs to a cobbler where I am from in California and paid $80 for the re-sole, but this was Germany so certain things would be cheaper, right? One week later, I pick up the shoes and am devastated. The clown had cut the old soles halfway down the shoe, and made a really nice bevel on the welt. I am pretty sure he ruined the shoe.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed decrease in quality of AE? I've ordered two pairs of shoes recently and both had imperfections on the sole. Specifically minor indentations in the back of the sole where the heel meets the siding. I used to order factory seconds and expected these types of issues, but got some new ones through AE. Is this over obsessing or justified? The dent is hardly noticeable unless you look at the shoe very closely, but I used to recall each shoe being perfect.

manhattanman

Reaction score
I wear Alden Modified Last and would appreciate if any of you gentlemen can tell me what Allen Edmonds last is close to that fit? I tried on last 8 a few years ago but it didn't fit right. I see the 201 seems to have a similar shape as the Alden ML. I have a high instep and a wide foot. Thanks you for your comments!

brendenlow

Reaction score
Anybody looking to buy a reg priced pair from AE within the next couple months? I have a $50 off card I won't be using

Chawk806

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have the same question about sizing with AE Chukka boots. Thinking about a pair of the Bellevue Chukka and not quite sure what size to get. Most of my other dress type shoes are 11.5 but some are 11's. Anyone looking to see a well broken in pair PM please.....thanks!!

Fatmatt5

Reaction score
I tried on some shoes from the Crosstown Collection. I wear a 9.5D in the welted AE's - all lasts I own are 9.5D. But in the Crosstown Collection shoes, the 10D fit me better. The guy at the store I shop said most people go up a half size on the Crosstowns.

Just my experience.

Chris
Most advice says to come down a half size and increase a width on the 5 last compared to other brands/"normal" brannock size. For my 5 last, it was down a half size, but I can stay at the D width and still have a great fit. It would make sense that, if the Crosstown last is not as narrow as the 5, that going up a half size may be right.

Frankie Wood

Reaction score
IMG_2201.JPG
IMG_2198.JPG
So I just bought a brand new pair of AE's park aves last week and I was shining the toecaps. I was applying layers of wax polish when a dot appeared on one of the toes and it got bigger and bigger. It's like the finish on the shoe is being eaten away? I'm shocked and confused. I've been polishing them the same exact way multiple nights over the last week successfully and nothing has happened. It happened out of the blue. ideas suggestions?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess you were going towards a mirror shine? Otherwise you don't need to be polishing them daily.

It looks like there was a defect in the finish - might try taking them back and explaining what happened. AE has good customer service. Otherwise, with that much of a difference in color you may have to strip and recolor them. I ended up, through physical damage, in a similar situation with my oxblood PAs and wasn't able to hide with polish acceptably.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads