1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds new custom shoe program

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Nick V., Apr 1, 2011.

1. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

95% of SFers are blind followers.

There are less than a handful of true innovators or truly knowledgeable.

Anything produced in small/smaller quantity is also automatically assumed to be "better"

++1 Can't confirm your percentage's but agree with your thought.

2. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

I think I may give this a try. The small mark-up just to get a size 11 on one foot and 11.5 on the other would be worth it.

Suede Park Aves anyone?

That was my first thought too, however some members have claimed Nordstrom or any AE store will give you mismatched size pairs for no additional charge.

3. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

well, this can be said about custom shoes across the brands. Unfortunately, many people take custom to mean that they should get every nook and cranny possible. If you look through the bespoke shoe thread, you'll see shoes where you realize why the brand does not make it a stock shoe.

In terms of AE versus Alden, Alden is "better" to me because, for my tastes, they have better looking shoes (the Indy, the NST's, the variations of the two, the longwings, the chukkas, the PTB's), where they overlap in shoes (the macneil/alden longwing, teh delray/alden NST), alden does a better job aesthetically, Alden is more innovative in their leathers and because Alden has a lot less clunkers in their lineup. AE can get rid of 50% of their lineup, and still have a lot more uglier shoes than Alden. Also, in terms of shell cordovan (which is where 95% of the Alden fanboyism comes from), I don't know of any other maker that offers the options that Alden does at the price that Alden does. For me, this makes Alden better, for someone else, it may not.

4. piergiacomi

piergiacomi Senior member

It is an interesting service, congratulations to those who created it, may I ask if the construction is hand-made Goodyear?
    In Italy I have never seen this brand, but for $ 450 about 300 € you can not buy handmade shoes goodyear.

5. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

may I ask if the construction is hand-made Goodyear?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I stopped in the Minneapolis store today to investigate further. The SA told me the website for custom launched early and he says it is not yet 100% complete. Not all models and leathers/options are shown but he says they'll do anything.

Additionally, if the model you want is currently on sale nationally, you pay the sale price plus the upcharge of $125. For example, if the McAllister is on sale for $249 right now, that's your price plus the $125. Your choice of leathers (and suedes and even linen), stitching, sole and insole and your width and length per each shoe.

A nice moderately priced option for those of us with hard-to-fit feet.

7. laufer

laufer Senior member

It is an interesting service, congratulations to those who created it, may I ask if the construction is hand-made Goodyear?
    In Italy I have never seen this brand, but for $ 450 about 300 € you can not buy handmade shoes goodyear.

It is a goodyear construction but not hand made. Allen Edmonds shoes are factory produced shoes. This company does not have presence in Italy. I think they have stores in Belgium and Germany.

Please pay no attention to the SF members who disparage Allen Edmonds shoes. These decent shoes for the price. Obviously you cannot compare $350 AE shoes with $1100 Edward Greeen shoes.

8. piergiacomi

It is a goodyear construction but not hand made. Allen Edmonds shoes are factory produced shoes. This company does not have presence in Italy. I think they have stores in Belgium and Germany.

Please pay no attention to the SF members who disparage Allen Edmonds shoes. These decent shoes for the price. Obviously you cannot compare $350 AE shoes with $1100 Edward Greeen shoes.

Thanks, I did not want to speak ill of the brand, I'm just trying to understand your target market, your price, and the tastes in the U.S.
    In Italy is most different for style, but not for price, it is similar.
    [​IMG]

9. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

well, this can be said about custom shoes across the brands. Unfortunately, many people take custom to mean that they should get every nook and cranny possible. If you look through the bespoke shoe thread, you'll see shoes where you realize why the brand does not make it a stock shoe.

In terms of AE versus Alden, Alden is "better" to me because, for my tastes, they have better looking shoes (the Indy, the NST's, the variations of the two, the longwings, the chukkas, the PTB's), where they overlap in shoes (the macneil/alden longwing, teh delray/alden NST), alden does a better job aesthetically, Alden is more innovative in their leathers and because Alden has a lot less clunkers in their lineup. AE can get rid of 50% of their lineup, and still have a lot more uglier shoes than Alden. Also, in terms of shell cordovan (which is where 95% of the Alden fanboyism comes from), I don't know of any other maker that offers the options that Alden does at the price that Alden does. For me, this makes Alden better, for someone else, it may not.

I thought AE's shell cordovan is a bit cheaper (like 100~150 cheaper?). Though they're some chunky shoe coming from Alden I do like for casual (gunboat/longwing/boots) wear. How's Alden last better? Even Plaza is not that sleek in my eyes (though I do like it).

10. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Senior member

I stumbled across this feature on the AE site last week. Made a nice pair of Strand's in brown suede with Vibram sole (after I had just ordered a pair of "plain" Strand's in Walnut), then realized I could get some Alden wingtips in brown suede with Commando soles for about the same price. It seems like the Alden's would be a better shoe, correct?

Correct.

11. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Thanks, I did not want to speak ill of the brand, I'm just trying to understand your target market, your price, and the tastes in the U.S.
    In Italy is most different for style, but not for price, it is similar.
    [​IMG]

Also don't forget you can get AE on the cheap all the time in the States. It's not really 350USD, more like $250 USD, and probably a lot cheaper if you really dig around.

12. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I stumbled across this feature on the AE site last week. Made a nice pair of Strand's in brown suede with Vibram sole (after I had just ordered a pair of "plain" Strand's in Walnut), then realized I could get some Alden wingtips in brown suede with Commando soles for about the same price. It seems like the Alden's would be a better shoe, correct?
    Price is about the same, $450 for each (The BB Peal's are only slightly more for that matter). But if you are doing AE's custom simply to choose the leather and either the AE or Alden fits you identically well, then it's just a stylistic choice. Or you could get the AE Quinton for $125 less than the Alden, for, IMO, there' probably not $125 difference between the two, qualitatively... dunno. If you need to adjust the size, this is pretty brilliant.

13. piergiacomi

Also don't forget you can get AE on the cheap all the time in the States. It's not really 350USD, more like $250 USD, and probably a lot cheaper if you really dig around.

Ok, in Italy i Know "Premiata", a company near us, which produces a good industrial goodyear, and its prices are around € 250/300. I'm curious.[​IMG]

14. Storm33

Storm33 Senior member

I do love the look of some of the Aldens with shell cordovan . . . but all things being equal, I know how AE's fit. I may see about trying some Alden's on to compare the fit / feel, then decide which to buy. If the Aldens aren't instantly comfortable when I put them on (like most AE's I've worn) then I'll know to stay with AE. Otherwise it would be good to know another US brand I can add to my shoe collection.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

This shoe is hawt. Vass U-Last, eat your heart out. [​IMG]

16. evilbananas

evilbananas Senior member

95% of SFers are blind followers. There are less than a handful of true innovators or truly knowledgeable. Anything produced in small/smaller quantity is also automatically assumed to be "better"
    +1
    ++1 Can't confirm your percentage's but agree with your thought.
    [​IMG]

17. viator

viator Senior member

I like Allen Edmonds, and I really really wish that the AEs I can get from the shoebank at $150 were the same quality as Alden at $400, but it's just not true. I have a pair of AE (Mora) and a pair of Alden (full strap loafer) that I bought around the same time and have worn about the same amount. The AEs are already back for a recrafting, while the Aldens look the same today as they did a month after I bought them.

Alden really does use better materials and construction.

18. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

By the way- the SA at the MN store said they are talking about bringing 3-5 "classic" styles back this Fall. I asked about the Mora and he said he didn't know which were being considered but that he knows the Mora has been requested a fair amount.

19. Richard Bell

Richard Bell Member

20. Richard Bell

Richard Bell Member