Allen Edmonds makes me physically sick

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay Gatsby, Aug 6, 2010.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Today I tried on a pair of Alden's and a pair of AE's... the AE's were by far the more comfortable of the two.

2. NCJack

NCJack Member

Yeah, as said above, you have to check the last # if ordering. Not as much variation as Alden, but it's there

3. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

Laughing out loud at the defensive AE fans. Fuck your shoe. Fuck AE and their degrading quality. Last does not explain the rubber sole coming off after about 10 wears. Last does not explain why left shoe flaps off my foot while the right stays put. Fuck you and your over-priced shoe of choice. I hope you all get bunions.

Edit: also does not explain the discoloration around the seam, fanboyz!

4. BeaconHillBoston

BeaconHillBoston Senior member

Laughing out loud at the defensive AE fans. Fuck your shoe. Fuck AE and their degrading quality. Last does not explain the rubber sole coming off after about 10 wears. Last does not explain why left shoe flaps off my foot while the right stays put. Fuck you and your over-priced shoe of choice. I hope you all get bunions.

Edit: also does not explain the discoloration around the seam, fanboyz!

Ya, Lolz!!!! Look at all these fanboyz defending their ae's lolz!!!! Lmao lolz!!!!111 get some bespokes lolz. Or some Aldens, because they are .15% better, lolz lolz.

fuck the fanboyz, lmao lolz!

5. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

On the bright side, you won't feel so bad when your AEs get stolen, at least you can laugh at the thief for the blisters he will soon get.

That said, why get Aldens when, to paraphrase what you said, for another few hundred dollars you could get another better shoe. [​IMG] Or why eat a hamburger when for a few hundreds more, you can have steak and lobster. Or why buy an online MTM shirt when for a few hundreds more, you could get a bespoke shirt. Why buy underwear when for a few hundreds more, you could get some decent pants. Why use standard surface shipping when for a few hundreds more, you could get overnight air with tracking. Why Why Why????

6. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

One thing I can say for the Aldens... I only own Barrie last... they are very comfortable, if clunky, and I've had zero foot discomfort from day one. When I see AE trying to sell corodvan shoes at 500+ $, I wretch a little, thinking about the quality of my current AEs compared to $650 Alden cordovans. (Even my Fifth Aves, which I love, are very inferior to my Aldens.)

7. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

We've already established that fit issues are irrelevant when it comes to quality. It's all about how well the last fits your feet. I have both AEs and Aldens that fit my feet very well and are extremely comfortable, and I have had both AEs and Aldens that didn't fit at all and hurt my feet terribly.
    Last does not explain why left shoe flaps off my foot while the right stays put.
    Last probably does, actually, have something to do with the shoes fitting your feet differently. Everyone's feet are slightly different, and in some lasts that difference will be more pronounced than others.
    Last does not explain the rubber sole coming off after about 10 wears.
    No, it doesn't, but you've already admitted that you've had construction issues with only one out of three or four pairs of AEs, and that your Park Aves and Fifth Aves have been just fine. Why is one pair of shoes indicative of an overall decline in quality? Have you considered you might have a defective pair? As much as it has been discussed here, you don't have an excuse for knowing about AE's good reputation for customer service. Have you tried seeing if they'll replace them for you? I am perfectly willing to agree that Aldens are better shoes. And I think that's reflected in the price. Retail for AE PAs is $325; retail for Alden 907s is $416. I think the 28% premium for Aldens pretty well reflects the quality difference.

8. wysiwyg

wysiwyg Senior member

Laughing out loud at the defensive AE fans. Fuck your shoe. Fuck AE and their degrading quality.

Defensive much?

[​IMG]

9. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Senior member

Laughing out loud at the defensive AE fans. Fuck your shoe. Fuck AE and their degrading quality. Last does not explain the rubber sole coming off after about 10 wears. Last does not explain why left shoe flaps off my foot while the right stays put. Fuck you and your over-priced shoe of choice. I hope you all get bunions. Edit: also does not explain the discoloration around the seam, fanboyz!
    So wait... the dress shoe at a higher price point is better quality? Shocking! I once wore these Eccos that fell apart. Well fuck that! I'm coughing up a thousand more for EG. Why doesn't everyone do that? EG is so much better! edit: My apologies if you are, in fact, physically sick. I shall dial the waaaahhhhmbulance right away.

10. factorial

factorial Senior member

Physically sick? I'm expecting these future posts by the OP:

"My mail ordered RM Williams don't fit and give me violent diarrhea"

"My double-soled Aldens aren't broken in yet, and now whenever I look at mafoofan posts I get a yeast infection"

"Edward Greens and anal warts: has this happened to anyone else?"

11. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Laughing out loud at the defensive AE fans. Fuck your shoe. Fuck AE and their degrading quality. Last does not explain the rubber sole coming off after about 10 wears. Last does not explain why left shoe flaps off my foot while the right stays put. Fuck you and your over-priced shoe of choice. I hope you all get bunions. Edit: also does not explain the discoloration around the seam, fanboyz!
    Honestly, I am neutral about AE, I prefer their classic styles to the the updated look they keep wanting to push, especially the new 270 degree welt (no thanks). As for quality, My Hillcrests are five years old and I have not had any issues with them (yet) and they are comfortable durable shoe. The only reason why I like AE is they actually make a B width through out their product line. I can special order the AEs I want through my local menswear store who stocks a small selection of the newer styles (why I have no idea). Now would I spend 28% more and get into a pair of Aldens? Hell yes, however, Alden has next to no presence in Canada outside of Brooks Brothers and shoes is one of those things I prefer to try on before I buy because courtesy genetics I have a narrow foot (B).

12. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Senior member

Laughing out loud at the defensive AE fans. Fuck your shoe. Fuck AE and their degrading quality. Last does not explain the rubber sole coming off after about 10 wears.

You wear shoes with rubber soles.

13. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Pics or it didn't happen

14. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

E will resolve your complaint immediately and cheerfully. I had a pair of AE Dryden that had some weird rubber treads inset into the leather sole. Unfortunately, the rubber started to separate from the leather after awhile. One mention of the (minor) issue the next time I was in an AE store and the shoes were recrafted with new full leather soles at no charge. The rep I spoke with had no problem admitting that sometimes they try new ideas and they don't work out.

Call Port Washington, they will take care of it.

15. KingOfTheForum

KingOfTheForum Senior member

"Why would anyone buy this when they can get some decent quality Aldens or something even better for a few hundred more?"

Because they cost "a few hundred more." By your logic, no one would ever settle on buying anything because they'd always have the option of buying better quality for "a few hundred more."

On the subject of quality, I'm not sold on the idea that Alden is higher quality at all in some cases or that it's HIGH enough quality to justify the price differential in other cases. It sounds to me like your issue is a combination of exaggeration and buying the wrong size. The shoes that you mentioned aren't even on the same last.