• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Last Number 4

Charlie

Reaction score
I have two pair of the Byrons and one pair of the old Park Avenue. Both of these models were made on the number 4 last, which has now been discontinued. ("Oh my God - they killed the number 4 last! You bastards!)

That last fit me like a glove - in its absence, what last fits similarly to the number 4?

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie
I have two pair of the Byrons and one pair of the old Park Avenue. Both of these models were made on the number 4 last, which has now been discontinued. ("Oh my God - they killed the number 4 last! You bastards!) That last fit me like a glove - in its absence, what last fits similarly to the number 4?
I don't know but I miss the 4 last too. I have a pair of Troys in sz 11 and I really want to buy them in a 10.5.
36_1.JPG

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie
I have two pair of the Byrons and one pair of the old Park Avenue. Both of these models were made on the number 4 last, which has now been discontinued. ("Oh my God - they killed the number 4 last! You bastards!)

That last fit me like a glove - in its absence, what last fits similarly to the number 4?

The #4 was my favorite A-E last as well. Nothing in the current A-E lineup fits me as well as the old #4. I don't like the #2 and the new #8 lasts--both are a poor fit on my feet. Some shoes made on the #1 last are a good fit for me. A-E still has a few in their lineup. The new #0 last is an "okay" fit on my feet--acceptable but not as good as several older lasts.

The Park Avenue, to the best of my knowledge was never made on the #4 last but is made on the #5 last instead. I like the fit of both lasts on my feet in my normal size, but many men do not find this to be so.

The old #8 last is, as far as I know, still used for the Ashton. This is almost idental to the #4 except for the presence of a cushioned orthotic. I strongly recommend getting a pair of Ashtons in chili if you can.

aribo

Reaction score
I have a couple of pairs of the stockbridge. a real comfortable shoe. I think this was the 4 last also.
I want a pair of the kennett, looking for a closeout pair, since I also think this is a 4 last as well.

well-kept

Reaction score
I may be mistaken but I think the McGraw might be a revival of #4. It's on the AE website.

The 4 is my favorite too. I'm glad I stocked up a few years ago.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
The Park Avenue, to the best of my knowledge was never made on the #4 last but is made on the #5 last instead.

+1

Hoofit

Reaction score
The #4 last has always fit me the best. I was sad to see that is has gone away, but was pleased with my purchase of Leeds which is on the #1 last. The #1 fits great, but there are very few models that are currently built on this last. I guess you just have to try them in lots of different sizes and widths to get a good fit. This new #8 last is not the best imho.

The Transporter

Reaction score
Ah, the much missed #4 last. I have a two pairs and wear them all the time. Stupid bean counters! The 0 last is crap, especially if you wear large sizes like a 14 since it looks like you have clown shoes on. I have a pair of the 8 last with the black insoles (another nightmare story) that fit so-so, but the 8 with the light insole doesn't fit too bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads