1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Independence Collection. Any Info, Pics, Price Range, Widths...?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by deveandepot1, May 19, 2011.

1. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

^Thanks for the info.
    Nothing that will work for me. :(

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Yeah...I'm a 12B left and 11C right... i feel your pain.

3. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

The price list included in the catalog they mailed me shows the price for the Independence Collection at $445.

Chris

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  4. deveandepot1

^ I doubt many people are willing paying that much for Allen Edmonds. They will likely sell well when on sale though.
    The new Daltons look to be very nice, but I am afraid they used the same grommets as the Bayfield.

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

If they are judging any product simply on a brand name and stereotypes, that's their own fault.

Personally? That's a cheap price if their shoes are a step up accordingly. If they are getting back to the quality of a decade-plus ago, they very well could be well-priced; and a relative "bargain" versus prices for EG, G&G etc not to mention that they are much more widely available. If they eventually include this line in their custom option, it could be a real bargain.

6. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

The leather for the Independence collection comes for a French tannery that is also used by other more expensive brands. The leather feels very nice but, in my honest opinion, is a bit meh. Not sure how else to describe it, it just looks "dead" in person but the feel is very nice. The soles on the Independence collection are prettier than the normal soles, they are painted and none of that full rubber heel, but their regular soles are Redenbach so it's not like those stink. The indepence collection do feel nice in the hand and a step up from the regular offerings, but would like to see how that leather wears. I prefer AE's suede, I think they excel there and don't push it enough.

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Thanks Ed-

In finishing a custom order the leather sole offered was either oak bark or reddenbach. I agree with the suedes. They are pondering some other suede options apparently.

I agree also about the leather appearances- one area they don't put time/money into is a high-end polish. The shoes in store look dull. Maybe just more-so against the G&G's and Lobbs etc that put so much effort into finishes that owners have a hard time maintaining. Good thing is, in the right hands, they take a great polish and develop a nice patina over time.

But I'd wager that, for shoes at about 40% of their English competition, they're a pretty good deal. I'd hope so anyway... I have a custom pair due early October. We'll see how it turns out.

8. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

One thing about those new leathers is that they look like they will take on a really rich appearance when creamed/shined.

AE gets a lot of crap but in reality, on a construction basis they are pretty much the same as Alden, maybe even finished a bit better, as I have yet to have a pair of Alden's that did not have some cosmetic blemishes, particularly at the welt. AE's problem is the abundance of ugly models. if yuo pick the right models, in the right configurations, you have a winner.

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Agreed- I do note the finishing around the welt of some in-store AE's is a bit rough at times as well.

10. DurrDog

DurrDog New Member

Fondled the the Jefferson yesterday. The leather is definitely a step up from standard AE offerings; it has a finer grain and is softer. The welt is tighter and cleaner at the heel but more pronounced around the toe. The insole is a poron offering, which I have opted for in custom orders from AE and found to be noticeably more comfortable than standard. I do not yet know how well that instep holds up long term though. The Independence collection is not (yet) offered in the full range of AE sizes. The salesman did not know if the leather or any of the other features on the Independence collection is available for custom orders.

11. bleedinggumsmurphy

bleedinggumsmurphy Well-Known Member

I was at an AE trunk show yesterday, and looked at each of the Independence shoes. They're nice, but I really wasn't that impressed. The leather is a bit nicer, but not significantly so. Frankly, I'd say it's similar to what my older AE pairs have -- I think the leather quality has declined a bit, lately. The sole finish is nice, but nothing to that exciting. In the end, they're nice shoes....but not my choice.

12. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Slightly better leather + upgraded soles = 50% price premium? IMHO that does not bring them much closer to EG or G&G quality (not to speak about last attractiveness...but that is subjective). The upgrade might make em equivalent to C&J Benchgrade, but in this case they are not a bargain.

13. deveandepot1

For an 11A this really ticks me off. They don't even give you the option of paying more for an extra narrow width.

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

But they are AVAILABLE across much of the US. You can walk into a local store, try them, experience them and by them. That's a major plus; in addition to supporting a business trying to make it here. I'll never be able to wear C&J as they are all too wide so AE is an option. I've never said they are as good as a shoe like EG that is twice the price. But they are closer in quality than the doubling of price reflects so therefore are not a bad deal.

A caveat for me in all of this is that I have a custom pair coming along... I can't fully judge until I have them in hand and on foot. However, my 12-13 year old pair of AE's is still probably the most durable shoe I own to date, in my collection, and that includes bespoke.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  15. DurrDog

DurrDog New Member

16. swiego

swiego Senior member

I saw one at the local store, Jefferson I think. The sole was nice - aesthetically, one of the nicest I've seen. (Better than my Lobb and Kiton plain-toes, fwiw.) I could not tell whether the construction was better, however the leather did seem top notch, and the insole was very, very comfortable. Would love to hear some hands-on opinions by you experts!

17. bluesdance

bluesdance Well-Known Member