• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill vs Thursday President/Captain

sixfiveoh

Reaction score
AE Higgins Mill
Thursday President

Looking for any comparisons anyone can offer between the two, any side by side shots would be awesome. I wear tapered pants and am looking for a sleek silhouette primarily, tried on the Higgins Mill in store and they look pretty good. Are the Thursdays close or are they much sleeker in silhouette?

I'm leaning towards the AEs based on quality, but is the difference in construction that big? Seeing conflicting reviews for the Thursdays online.

Thanks!

Sfroide3

Reaction score
AE is overpriced for the quality you get. If you really want some wait for sales. None the two pairs is going to be "slim". It's field boots.

sixfiveoh

Reaction score
Definitely waiting for them to go on sale, which should happen next week. Can you suggest a better alternative for a slim boot?

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely waiting for them to go on sale, which should happen next week. Can you suggest a better alternative for a slim boot?

AE is a great value proposition (especially on sale). HM is great but if you really want a slim look with tapered pants the liverpool or nomad might be better for you

I tried a pair of Thursdays and there were quality issues with the sole breaking off at the toe. Customer service was great and exchanged the shoes but I was concerned the problem would recur so I just sold the replacement pair

sixfiveoh

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.. I do have a pair of Chelseas and chukkas already, wanted to add a service boot type to the rotation, while I understand they’re chunkier by design, wanted to stay as slim as possible.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
If you like rugged leather this one is crazy cool:

Made in Kudu leather !

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah Carmina is a great option if you wear a D or E in US

sixfiveoh

Reaction score
For anyone interested, I ordered both. The Thursday is definitely a slimmer profile, but the AEs fit like an absolute glove and just feel like better quality. The laces, the eyelets, the sole, just feel better. Leather on the AEs looks like it has more depth, but I keep trying on the Thursdays because of the darker, reddish brown color and slim profile. They feel a bit more "dapper", know what I mean?

What do you think?

wZFvfT9.jpg

QDbPuRJ.jpg

aynahqx.jpg

WwGBosV.jpg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you answered the question based on the AEs fitting better.

I'm finally wearing my Thursdays today so I figured I'd post a shot anyway!

sixfiveoh

Reaction score
Leaning toward keeping both at this point. While similar, they're different enough to work better in certain outfits. AEs for more rugged casual looks and the Thursday for more dressy looks. The difference in color seems to increase as they're worn in too, judging by this screencap from stridewise -

MwmH1ZL.png

Crazy to have 2 pairs of brown service boots?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads