• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds heel cracking

Steeze

Reaction score
I noticed that there is a slight crack forming under the heel of both pairs of my Park Aves. The uppers are in excellent condition. Would it be worth paying for the $100 restoration process or can a local shoe repair guy take care of this affordably? In LA btw

jmoody15

Reaction score
How long have you had them? This happened to me after a handful of wears - I took it back to the JAB where I got them, and they gave me a new pair.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Keep in mind, if you have your local worker fix it, you may eliminate/minify your options to recraft in the future. If it's a real problem, I'd just send them in to AE.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A local shoe guy can do a more then adequate job on small stuff like new heels. AE only says that about local cobblers so that they can refuse to take a shoe if it's been REALLY botched.

A new heel? Go for it. I'm sure there are more then a few good places in LA.

kentuckyboy

Reaction score
I posted a question about this in another thread and got no response. I have a picture below of my PA's. Do you guys think this is worth returning? Only worn once...obviously doesnt affect the shoe but it is a little annoying.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
That shouldn't be happening. Happened to a guy I know and he exchanged them (he had purchased originally from an AE retail store). That said, it is a simple repair (heel needs to be nailed on better) and any cobbler can fix it.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fairly certain all that needs to be done is to apply some light hammering to the heel to tap it back down. Could even be a DIY. However, I would return it. Unless you don't want to re-break the shoes in again. A painful prospect of course.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Many times when a heel cracks like this it is because it is all or partially comprised of "fiberboard"--essentially cardboard made to look like leather. Fiberboard doesn't have the structural integrity of leather so when one of the very thin layers of the cardboard "stack" is under stress, the next layer in the stack will "de-laminate." It's hard to tell from the photo what the heel stack is made of but the indistinct nature of the crack looks an awful lot like what fiberboard does when it comes apart.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Many times when a heel cracks like this it is because it is all or partially comprised of "fiberboard"--essentially cardboard made to look like leather. Fiberboard doesn't have the structural integrity of leather so when one of the very thin layers of the cardboard "stack" is under stress, the next layer in the stack will "de-laminate." It's hard to tell from the photo what the heel stack is made of but the indistinct nature of the crack looks an awful lot like what fiberboard does when it comes apart.
With respect, your description may well be true for some other makes, but as far as I have ever seen, Allen Edmonds uses leather and not fibreboard to make their heels.

WJR

Reaction score
Interesting. I recently experienced this on a brand new pair of Strands I bought during the nordstroms sale. I contacted AE to see if I should ship to them for repair and they told me to send back to nordstroms. That seemed odd to me but as of today they are on their way back to nordstroms and a new pair is on it's way to me.

WJR

kentuckyboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WJR
Interesting. I recently experienced this on a brand new pair of Strands I bought during the nordstroms sale. I contacted AE to see if I should ship to them for repair and they told me to send back to nordstroms. That seemed odd to me but as of today they are on their way back to nordstroms and a new pair is on it's way to me.

WJR

What was the return process for Nordstroms? Did they send the new pair before they recieved the old ones? It is a little disheartening to hear that this is fairly common.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
Keep in mind, if you have your local worker fix it, you may eliminate/minify your options to recraft in the future. If it's a real problem, I'd just send them in to AE.

No, a heel replacement is pretty straight forward. Best to get a combination heel.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kentuckyboy
What was the return process for Nordstroms? Did they send the new pair before they recieved the old ones? It is a little disheartening to hear that this is fairly common.

IME they charge your card again and when they receive the return they give you a refund for both items.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII

That true,
me had that happen long time ago,
heel was cardboard type
expensive shoe.

WJR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kentuckyboy

They charge your card again, send out the new pair, you send in the old pair and they refund your card once they receive them.

WJR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics