• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds for Brooks Brothers

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like they are phasing out Alden in favor of AE. At least the price went down a bit. The 5th Ave and Strand are excellent choices but I would have liked to see something original. LEENK

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh, don't like the soles at all.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
Looks like they are phasing out Alden in favor of AE. At least the price went down a bit.

The 5th Ave and Strand are excellent choices but I would have liked to see something original.

LEENK

+1. I too would like to see something original. Jos A Bank went the similar route and AE is making an exclusive shoes for them as well. The problem is all of those shoes are on last 5 which does not fir me particularly well. I was hoping for something original or maybe something on last 8 such was AE Niles.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious to see what happens with the LHS.

AE appears to be happy about being discounted anywhere & everywhere. If BB is moving away from Alden, I will guess pricing is an issue.

I like the sole; it has its uses. Not a fan of the cushion insole idea but I should try it before I say it's no good or cheap.

phailing101

Reaction score
Hopefully they slash the price on those Aldens to help phase them out!

ColeFieldHouse

Reaction score
The Alden calf shoes seemed to be in a dead zone of pricing for BB--just too close in price to the Peals to merit much attention.

xudisco07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ColeFieldHouse
The Alden calf shoes seemed to be in a dead zone of pricing for BB--just too close in price to the Peals to merit much attention.

That makes sense now that I think about it. One thing I do not get is why are they are $20 more than the shoes AE sells.

tj100

Reaction score
I don't see this as good news for anybody. AE already has solid - maybe even saturated - distribution; adding the brooks brothers channel doesn't do a whole lot for them. Alden, on the other hand, isn't a shoe that you can buy at every mall, and this just further pushes them into a tiny niche. It's true that their niche is having a renaissance right now, but what happens in three years when it goes bust and they don't have a steady order stream from Brooks Brothers?

classicusa

Reaction score
It would seem that the relationship between BB and Alden has been deteriorating for a while. I have been backordered on two pairs of BB/Aldens since the beginning of Dec. And BB still has no idea when they will get the product. Website simply adds 21 days to expected delivery on any given day. I've talked to internal people at BB, and they can't seem to get an answer out of Alden.

I think the above poster may be right...BB could be phasing out Alden. Or maybe Alden would rather not have BB as a custy...

AE expanded capacity by about 20% recently, and needs to increase distribution to move the additional product. They are probably more eager to commit production to JAB and BB, with potentially better pricing and margins to BB.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't the AE for BB have a better insole in lieu of that black concrete liner?! Also, the heels have dovetails and not that awful rubber on the whole heel.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's sad as I much prefer Alden to AE. It is also weird if Alden is actually trying to phase out BB as its customer,BB must be its biggest customer and has a huge foot print across the country. It would be a pretty bad move on Alden's part not to maintain a good relationship with BB.

CaymanS

Reaction score
The spacing between the eyelets is too close - this kills AE for me.

No idea why AE can't just space them normally.

Makes the laces look straightjacket-ish. Yuck.

mcbrown

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
I don't see this as good news for anybody. AE already has solid - maybe even saturated - distribution; adding the brooks brothers channel doesn't do a whole lot for them. Alden, on the other hand, isn't a shoe that you can buy at every mall, and this just further pushes them into a tiny niche. It's true that their niche is having a renaissance right now, but what happens in three years when it goes bust and they don't have a steady order stream from Brooks Brothers?

My thoughts exactly. I have said before that I worry about Alden misreading their little boom in popularity, making poor decisions and getting themselves in trouble when the trend reverses. This certainly doesn't make me feel better about that risk.

ns7

Reaction score
This is great and all... But why would I pay $20 extra for the Park Avenues and $50 extra for the Strands?

Unless of course they run the 40% off deal again this Christmas.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads