1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds for Brooks Brothers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AnGeLiCbOrIs, Mar 2, 2011.

1. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

1 person likes this.
  2. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

I was in a BB's the other night and asked about the shoes. Salesman told me BB recalled them, including the pair he'd purchased for himself. Didn't have any details, just said they told him there was a problem with the AE shoes and they had to go back.

I saw the AE offering in the Toronto store about a month or so ago and of the selection I would buy the loafers first. I asked my regular SA why they were taken off the floor the next time I was in and he replied people from Allen Edmonds were visiting all the Brooks Brothers locations to I guess do some product indoctrination and two do something to the shoes.

I think they were supposed to be stamped Allen Edmonds for Brooks Brothers or something along those lines and re-calling the shoes would 1) be expensive and 2) a nightmare logsitically. That's the story I was told.

3. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Interesting anecdotes. Given that at least the strand copy is a standard AE offering, it does seem to lead to some esoteric aspect of the finished product. Maybe the embossing of the letters on the inside footbed were off or something like that. What a nightmare if so.

But to your point I wouldn't think it was because it didn't include AE's name--that's the whole point of private labeling the shoe, so your customers won't see the manufacturer's name.

4. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Senior member

Haven't read through this thread but I just noticed the AEs on BB's website and yuck.

I don't like AE, never have. Way beneath the shoe quality I'd expect from Brooks.

BB was special in that they made C&Js, Aldens, and ASs widely available in the US.

I hope this is simply an addition to their line and not a replacement of some part of their line. All we need in the US is another place to buy Allen Edmonds.

5. onix

onix Senior member

Haven't read through this thread but I just noticed the AEs on BB's website and yuck. I don't like AE, never have. Way beneath the shoe quality I'd expect from Brooks. BB was special in that they made C&Js, Aldens, and ASs widely available in the US. I hope this is simply an addition to their line and not a replacement of some part of their line. All we need in the US is another place to buy Allen Edmonds.
    Very sure that this is an addition with no effect on the Peal & Co line (C&J & AS).

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

the AEs are back on the BB site

7. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

the AEs are back on the BB site

The finishing of the sole seems to be an upgrade vs. regular AE, also the built in topy looks nice.

Perhaps the leather is of higher quality as well? This would be welcome considering the recent calf AE output. ( As we all know makers will make the shoes for the shops to their specifications....)

I, for one, am interested to see these in person.

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

The finishing of the sole seems to be an upgrade vs. regular AE, also the built in topy looks nice. Perhaps the leather is of higher quality as well? This would be welcome considering the recent calf AE output. ( As we all know makers will make the shoes for the shops to their specifications....) I, for one, am interested to see these in person.
    I have never seriously considered purchasing an AE product but if the bolded turns out to be true, I may consider it. That's if, BB get their inventory/order processing issues under control .......................................................................................................................................................................[​IMG]

9. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

And it looks like they are only offered in D width. That blows.

10. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Has anyone purchased these AE rebranded shoes from BB yet? As someone mentioned the soles look upgraded. Does anyone have experience with the leather and finish?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  11. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

I picked up a pair the BB "Strands" back on the spring Friends and Family event and honestly, no issues. I have no idea why SF members have a hate on for AE, I own three pairs and never had problems with fit, finish or durability. That said I still want a pair of LHS loafers and plain toe bluchers in #8 shell.

12. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

+1 kind of a good thing as brooks brothers have ties with american express and one can use the points to buy shoes and clothes there...
    while nordstrom also sells Allen edmonds, they only have gift card ties with SPG...

13. ShelterIslandMike

ShelterIslandMike Well-Known Member

+1

14. BR2ACH

BR2ACH New Member

$500 PLUS for calfskin shoes is crazy which is why I prefer Cordovan Leather at this price point

15. BR2ACH

BR2ACH New Member

I concur as I prefer only their Leeds and Kenwood model: Cordovan Leather of course!

16. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

The AE for BB sell at $298 retail so they are not more that the regular branded AE shoes.