• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds for $30

Bentley

Reaction score
Looks like a good find to me. For $30 you can't go wrong and the shoes look like they're in fixable shape.

Give them a good clean/polish and then post the before/after pics. It would be interesting to see how they turn out.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
ive spent alot more money on alot worse stuff! I like all my allen edmonds (favorite being my walnut "troy"s) i think for the money, they cant be beat.

Hans Cater

Reaction score
I think they look very OK to me and won't even require a lot of reconstruction and yes it is a good buy.

They are Allen Edmonds for God's sake!
worship.gif

MikeCamp

Reaction score
Before..
dsp_1-30-11_015.jpg

KGrHqRlYE1F1VVIBNYywdfgsw0_12.jpg

After..

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get creases and that big 'slice' on the toe cap?

R-H

Reaction score
Dyeing those shoes black or a dark colour would minimize things. A really good shoe repair shop might be able to do something with the captoes. I love well worn dress shoes but these look pretty awful. I wouldn't invest (waste) much more time or money on these.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to just roll with it. You can't do much about either. Beat up shoes that've been carefully polished have a charm to them. The polish shows you care, the imperfections that you've been around the block.

MikeCamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
My suggestion would be to just roll with it. You can't do much about either. Beat up shoes that've been carefully polished have a charm to them. The polish shows you care, the imperfections that you've been around the block.
I like that! These are not to wear with suits or anything, i know they are far to warn out for that. More for just casual/weekend. Also, the scuffs are bad, i know, but with the flash and the camera being so close they do appear much worse in the photos.

tone76

Reaction score
Apart from the huge line across the right toe, I really like the patina that has been exposed by the waxing and polishing. They'd look pretty nice when dressed down (maybe with jeans rather than chinos), and they have charm. If you haven't sent them off to AE for reconstructing yet, I probably wouldn't bother - mainly because of the right toe. Like you said, the flash may have exaggerated this damage and as a weekender, most people wouldn't even notice ... but I'm not sure if AE would be able to fix that as it looks like a pretty deep line. Overall, considering what you paid for them, you've done well.
thumbs-up.gif

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you wasted your money. Not trying to be a jerk. Live and learn. Those shoes look like ****. The previous owner never treed them. That is why the creasing is so severe.

AEs are not expensive, and they are often on sale. If you have time to search ebay and wait on auctions, you can search and wait for the sales too.

fss

Reaction score
Let those shoes rest for a couple of days with some good shoe-trees, and lightly polish them after a few days, you'll probably lose the bigger creases. I'm not sure you can fix those captoe dents. Oh, and get some different laces.

Pash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I think you wasted your money. Not trying to be a jerk. Live and learn. Those shoes look like ****. The previous owner never treed them. That is why the creasing is so severe.

AEs are not expensive, and they are often on sale. If you have time to search ebay and wait on auctions, you can search and wait for the sales too.

I went to Nordstrom the other day to see what size I was in Allen Edmond shoes. The first shoe I tried on was a Clifton in 13D and I went into an ecstatic trance. I had no frame of reference for how well this shoe fit my foot. Having never entertained the idea of owning a $300 shoe, I left determined to find a pair of Cliftons within my budget. I immediately went home and bought these on ebay. Feeling pretty proud of myself for snagging a pair of AEs for less than $100, I came to styleforum to celebrate. Here, I read people are finding AE shoes on sale in the $130-$140 range. Now I feel like a chump.

The Cliftons are now my only shoes other than chucks; I plan on building a set of AEs as I join the working/adult world. Can anyone give me some pointers for where to keep my eyes peeled for AE seconds and/or on sale in the $150 range? Any input would be appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads