• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Different Lasts

Bandit44

Reaction score
Picked up a couple of pairs of shoes over the last few weeks. Have been looking for shoes built on lasts with a narrow heel and wide forefoot, so I went on AE website and decided that the 7 last and the 1 last would probably be good places to experiment. Since I wear a 13 or 14 narrow, trying on shoes in departments stores is not an option. Ordering multiple pairs of shoes is another option, but what I'd really like to do is try on five or six different lasts to see which ones fit me best; doing so at the expense of a retailer seems like taking advantage when I'd rather buy pre-owned.

First pair of shoes I received was the Sanford in a 13B (Ebay pickup). Immediately after putting these on, they were too snug in the forefoot. Had I not already bought a pair of Leeds, I would have canceled and tried a size larger. The Leeds came the following week and I noticed that they appeared to be almost a full size longer with much more room in the forefoot. The AE website states that the two lasts are very similar from the heel to the ball of the foot, but I found the Leeds to be wider in the heel as well. Ideally, it would be nice if AE offered their #1 last in an A width for people like me who need a narrow heel, but these will work as is.

Ultimately, I'm keeping the Leeds while the Sanfords will unfortunately have to go back on Ebay. A real shame since I got such a good deal. Here are a few pics showing the dramatic differences in the shoes. Both are 13 B.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads