• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Delray - Appropriate for a suit?

SFA

Reaction score
So I just purchased my first pair of Allen Edmonds locally here from Harry Rosen. I know I must have way overpaid for the shoes, but the prices up north is significantly higher than down in the U.S. And it took me about trying on 4 different sizes of the Allen Edmond Delrays (between size 8 to size 9.5, in E and triple E) to finally find the perfect fit.

Just looking at them right now though, I am wondering whether they were the right choice for a pair of shoes which I can combine with a suit? They are the black delrays, and I am thinking perhaps they are too clunky for a suit?

Any opinions on the Delray and whether it's appropriate for wearing with a suit? The important thing is I like them I guess, but for some reason they look off with a suit I tried on.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually have the same shoes, I wear them with a suit.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purists will tell you that a split-toe blucher like the DelRay is inappropriate for a suit.

The rest of the world--the overwhelming majority of civilized humanity of both sexes--will think it looks fine. FWIW President Obama wore similar shoes at his inauguration.

I suppose this is Cruiser-ism on my part. Oh well!

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get some opinions on the AE Leeds, I'm looking to purchase a pair.

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Purists will tell you that a split-toe blucher like the DelRay is inappropriate for a suit.
The rest of the world--the overwhelming majority of civilized humanity of both sexes--will think it looks fine.

As above, although I would agree with the purists.

FWIW President Obama wore similar shoes at his inauguration.
That means a 'no' to the OP's question then

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
I'd like to get some opinions on the AE Leeds, I'm looking to purchase a pair.

I would say the Leeds is more acceptable with a suit then the Delray

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan
I would say the Leeds is more acceptable with a suit then the Delray

Why? They're both bluchers, and what little the Leeds gains on the formality continuum by being a plain toe, it loses by being double-soled and hence heavier and clunkier.

Someone in one of the fora once characterized the Leeds as "bus driver shoes." Cruel but accurate, I thought. The Leeds rather reminds me of the ill-fitting shoes I was issued as an ROTC cadet. (I was a 13C at the time, they issued me a 12 1/2E.)

phillyesq

Reaction score
SF: Not appropriate.
Rest of the world: Just fine.

If you're going to go with AE, I'd recommend the Park Avenue with a suit, rather than the Delray. But the Delray will be fine.

Macallan

Reaction score
Why? They're both bluchers, and what little the Leeds gains on the formality continuum by being a plain toe, it loses by being double-soled and hence heavier and clunkier.

Some people prefer double soled shoes but if we leave that discussion aside for the moment.

If I was given a choice between a split-toe shoe or a non-split-toe double soled shoe, to wear with a suit, I would choice the latter. Double soled shoes are heavier but not that heavy that is not suitable for suits, and they look a better then square-toed shoes and loafers with fancy designs.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a new plain toe shoe, I'm currently wearing TBNY's Dominic and I love it. Very light weight and overall a shoe I've very comfortable with any suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads